Adding second heating element to Lochnivar solar water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Cgyacht

Reaction score
Hello All and thanks in advance for any advice. I have a Lochnivar 80 gallon tank with solar panel on my roof. It has a a 4500 watt upper heating element. Is it possible to install a second element in the bottom of the tank as there seems to be a place for it. I want to cut out the solar portion but just the upper element in the tank will not be enough. I would like to install a second lower element in the same manner as if I had a dual element water heater.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if this is possible. I know I will need another thermostat and element, etc.

Thank you very much

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually the llower boss is a dummy for a temperature sensing thermistor. There is no opening behind it for an element. Connect the hot outlet to the drain valve opening and you will have a rudimentary circulation loop to heat the whole tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks