Adding second building to an existing well

Users who are viewing this thread

Sc2

Reaction score
Built a pole with loft living quarters above about 1 1/2 ago that we are currently living as we prepare to build our new home. Currently have full water inside barn/loft, w/2 bath rooms, kitchenette, washer etc. supplied by a 100 ft dp, 25 gal p/m well with 20 amp power coming from barn and is controlled by a 20 ga 40/60 pressure tank, also located in barn.

We have begun the building phase of the new home and are currently roughed in & sealed up. My question is, what/how would be my best bet to bring water service to this new home based upon my current set-up, I have attached a dwg for illustration purposes.

Thanks!
Water Plan.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Built a pole with loft living quarters above about 1 1/2 ago that we are currently living as we prepare to build our new home. Currently have full water inside barn/loft, w/2 bath rooms, kitchenette, washer etc. supplied by a 100 ft dp, 25 gal p/m well with 20 amp power coming from barn and is controlled by a 20 ga 40/60 pressure tank, also located in barn.

We have begun the building phase of the new home and are currently roughed in & sealed up. My question is, what/how would be my best bet to bring water service to this new home based upon my current set-up, I have attached a dwg for illustration purposes.

Thanks!
View attachment 82381

Come out of the well and install a CSV1A set for 50 PSI constant and then a tee. One side of the tee plumbs to the loft as is, the other side goes to the new house as drawn. Your done. Enjoy strong constant 50 PSI in both locations.

Sc2

Reaction score
Thanks, So leave pressure tank/switch in barn connected as is? No additional tank/switch in new home?

Bannerman

Reaction score
No additional tank/switch in new home?
No. Water is supplied by the well and pump, not the pressure tank.

The pressure tank's main purpose is to reduce pump cycling by storing sufficient water volume to cause the pump to operate for at least a minimum amount of time once activated. A pump is designed to operate continuously, 24/7 and frequent start-stop cycles will shorten the life of the pump and also most components of the water delivery system. The recommended minimum pump run time is 60 seconds, but 120 seconds is preferred which is determined by the water storage capacity of the pressure tank compared to the GPM delivery capacity of the pump.

Your current 20-gallon pressure tank will store only about 5-gallons of water between 40-60 psi. At 25 GPM, your pump will replace that 5-gallons after running for only about 12 seconds. Once the pump is shut off by the pressure switch, the pump will be activated again each time only 5-gallons flow to either the house or barn.

The Cycle Stop Valve that Valveman recommended, will prevent your pump from cycling for as long as at least 1 GPM continues to be consumed. Not only will a CSV extend the lifespan of the pump and other components, but also water pressure to both the barn and house fixtures will remain constant at 50 psi while the pump is running, regardless of the flow rate being consumed up to 25 GPM.

Since a CSV will only allow the pump to deliver the identical flow rate as is actually being consumed, a large pressure tank is not required, so your existing 20-gallon tank will provide more capacity than actually needed, but may continue to be utilized.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks