Adding second bathroom to second floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Conde

Reaction score
I am looking to add an en suite bathroom to the second floor of our house. My question is, what is the best way to route the DWV down from the second floor? Currently there is a full bathroom on the second floor but it is located across the hall, about 15 feet away from the proposed en suite.

We will be tearing out the carpeting on second floor anyways so we will have access to the subfloor.

Is the best method to connect the DWV to the existing DWV from the already existing bathroom. Cut "access" holes in the subfloor?

House details.
  • Built 2009
  • Truss floor construction, 18" (spans entire house, no interior load bearing walls).
  • 2x6 walls.
  • 1st floor ceiling is finished (no access).
Thanks for the advice in advance!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have 18" open trusses, then there is plenty of room to add waste and vents and perhaps connect to the other bathroom.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

triangle90

Reaction score
Hey there, yeah connect the DWV to the existing DWV from the already existing bathroom in the subfloor is the easiest and cheapest way to do it, i redesigned my new house last month, when i moved my new house it was looking really old and ancient house, the siding was made of wood and it was really rusty and broken, i also wanted to do some repairing inside like panting, flooring, etc. adding a bathroom in the second floor was also in my plan, and actually i was new here and i didn't know any near company for home repairing so i searched online and guys in Cost Shed helped me a lot with it and they recommended me to for the bathroom to connect the DWV to the existing DWV from the already existing bathroom in the subfloor and it works fine.

Last edited:

Conde

Reaction score
Would one typically access the existing DWV through the ceiling of the first floor (through the drywall) or from cutting "access holes" in the the subfloor of the second floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks