Adding outlets to an existing wall

Users who are viewing this thread

theaggie

Reaction score
I am working toward finishing our basement. Right now I need to add several outlets to an existing finished wall. I know that for a new wall I have to support/secure the romex 8" after the box and every 4-1/2' after that. What are the requirements for adding outlets to an existing wall. The wall is about 20' long so I plan on adding 2 outlets about 10' apart so it will meet the NEC receptacle spacing rules once I get that far.
Note: The finished wall is the back wall of the basement. It is finished because it is an above ground outside wall.

Thanks,
Mark

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Also, go to an electrical supply store and buy the grey plastic single-gang boxes with screws (can't remember the manufacturer). These can be used both for remodel and new work. They are 10x better than regular remodel boxes.

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks