Adding outlet(s) downstream from second garage light switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmgolob

Reaction score
The help here has always been spot on - Thanks in advance.

The overhead lights in my garage are 2 way (SPDT.)
I'd like at add an outlet after the second switch that is near the outside door. It is rarely (if ever) used and though I'd prefer to keep it, I'm OK if the switch needs to be eliminated.
Below are pictures of the wiring behind the switch plate.
Good news / bad news is that EVERY INCH of wire in my 4800 sq ft 6 bed house is in conduit.
Good news - I suppose that's the RIGHT way to do it.
Bad news - Hard sometimes to trace what is where.
Hopefully, this picture is descriptive enough for some advice / instruction.
Thank you.
switch 2.jpg
switch.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That is a three way switch but which end is it? The two browns are the travelers and the yellow is the hot wire or it goes to the light. The WHT & ORG(red?) is probably the power for the ceiling outlet for the garage door opener and the yellow goes to the light. Therefore, the WHT & Orange wires from the right conduit is the power source to use.

Power most likely comes from the switch location nearest the door to the home. If the ORANGE is hot all the time, you splice into it and the WHT wire for the neutral. Besure to install the new outlet location with a GFCI outlet. By the colors and no GRN wire for ground, you have an older home (1970's I guess) where the ground is provided by the conduit which is no longer allowed by code. If you add an outlet with NMC 14-2 with ground, tie the green wire to a screw in this box to get a ground. There is a tapped hole on the left center where you can use a ground screw. Some are self tapping. The holes may not fit a #10 ground screw.

Having conduit is actually the best way to go, you can easily run new wire from box to box. Use a fish tape or use an old wire as a pull. Just tie the old wire to a pull string or new wires to the old and use the old wire as a pull string.

If there is not enough slack to pull back to splice into these two wires, Pull new wire from the ceiling outlet to this box using both of these as you pull string.

Three way switch as in your garage. Instead of BLK & RED, you have two browns.
3 way.png
commercial-electric-accessories-g30002-pk10-c3_145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks