Adding new subpanel

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam19

Reaction score
Hi All,
My Main service panel is ratting 125A currently it had one 100 A breaker feed to the exit subpanel in the garage.
I check at my Main service panel it have an extra slot can I add a 30A or 40 A breaker to this open slot to feed into a new subpanel I want to add.
I have the pictures attached for this question.
Thanks for helping
Sam

Attachments

• Main_Service_Panel.JPG
    Main_Service_Panel.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Main_Service_Panel1.JPG
    Main_Service_Panel1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Main_Service_Panel2.JPG
    Main_Service_Panel2.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 286

Stuff

Reaction score
As long as the calculated load is under the rating of the panel you should be fine. https://www.mikeholt.com/documents/calculations/formulas/ResidentialLoadCalculations.xls
The hidden issue is that when adding a breaker to this service the feed to the the garage panel will no longer supply power for the entire structure. So instead of 2 gauge aluminum wires you need to have 1 or even 1/0 gauge to cover a 100 amp feeder. Many inspectors will miss this but others will nail you.

Other issue is that current breaker is upside down. If you add a circuit you might be asked to correct this. I don't know about GE but others made a different breaker for this.

Sam19

Reaction score
As long as the calculated load is under the rating of the panel you should be fine. https://www.mikeholt.com/documents/calculations/formulas/ResidentialLoadCalculations.xls
The hidden issue is that when adding a breaker to this service the feed to the the garage panel will no longer supply power for the entire structure. So instead of 2 gauge aluminum wires you need to have 1 or even 1/0 gauge to cover a 100 amp feeder. Many inspectors will miss this but others will nail you.

Other issue is that current breaker is upside down. If you add a circuit you might be asked to correct this. I don't know about GE but others made a different breaker for this.
Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The hidden issue is that when adding a breaker to this service the feed to the the garage panel will no longer supply power for the entire structure.

You lost me. How would that happen if all they were doing is adding a second breaker below the existing one? The dynamics fo the box would ENSURE that one breaker was ALWAYS "upside down".

Stuff

Reaction score
Right now the load for the entire dwelling goes through the wires on the top DP breaker. Adding a second breaker means that only part of the load would go through those top wires. That changes things so you no longer get to use the special rules for a dwelling service conductors and instead need to treat the top wires as general feeder conductors which have lower ampacity rules. The rules don't make sense in this application but still could be enforced.

As mentioned other brands used to make special breakers that mounted upside down but the lever worked normally. From what I recall they were used for 100+ amp mains and were called reverse handle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks