Adding lights to existing circuit while finishing the basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Curtin

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a permit to finish the basement. In the county I live there is only the rough in inspection, then the final approval. No separate electrical inspection. Homeowner can do their own electrical in GA.

The basement has 6 existing lights, of course in the wrong place for what we're building. I know I can move them myself, but can I add all the other fixtures (recessed LEDs) on that existing circuit and not have an inspection issue since they are obviously new? I know a new circuit has to be 'rough' for the inspection.

Thanks
Chris

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes.

I'm not an electrician, but as far as I know you can add as many lights as you want. The limiting factors are the type of wire and the breaker size. 14-2 can be used on a lighting circuit, but only a15 amp breaker. So how many lights on a 15 amp breaker? Not sure depends on the type of light. 80 percent of 15 amps is 12 amps. You can have 12 amps worth of lights on a 15 amp breaker with 14-2 wire.

This is how I understand the requirements.

Chris Curtin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking more about the inspector looking at the new LED light fixtures and saying 'no way did your lazy builder do that' and fail me since those new wires/fixtures are live before the inspection.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Another non electrician but many years of reading. There really is no limit on the number of fixtures but as John stated, you're limited to the max circuit rating. For a 15 amp circuit you want not more than 13 amps draw on paper. So, depending on your type of fixture, if it's a recessed can that can uses standard Edison base bulbs where any wattage can in installed, you must go with the maximum wattage allowed by the can. It is stamped on the metal the max wattage. Recessed cans have a thermal switch that if it gets too hot it will open the circuit to the fixture only. LED fixtures that cannot accept any type of lamp you're limited to the total wattage of all fixtures.

Typical interior installation is not more than 65 watt incandescent lamps for recessed fixtures up to 8 or 9 ft ceilings. Basements you're usually not less than 7 feet. For LED that is a 9 watt fixture for about the same lumens. Distance between should be no less than the ceiling height for general lighting. For 65 watt rated cans that is about 23 fixtures maximum, for LED fixtures it's over 150 fixtures for a 15 amp circuit. If you use screw in Edison base LED lamps in recessed cans, you're limited to 23 fixtures. You must check the existing fixtures as they may be rated at 90 or 120 watts maximum. Just remember the inspector is there to help you on any short comings, not to criticize any faults and do ask him/her any questions you might have.

For just 6 existing fixtures, replace them so that all of your fixtures look the same. Ot move these six and add a new circuit for the additional fixtures.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, 80% is the limit, so on a 15A circuit, that would be 12A, not 13A, at least as I understand it. THat derating rule applies to certain things that can be expected to run continuously for more than a certain amount of time. A WH applies, as does something like an EVSE to charge your car. You might leave the lights on for many hours at a time, so they would qualify for that limitation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks