Adding Laundry Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Tee Jay

Reaction score
Hello,

We are currently in the process of adding a laundry sink to a new wall of cabinets. The issue that I am having is where the sink is going to be there seems to be no easy way to tie into the drain stack to the right.

Because of where the washer and dryer need to go, those cabinets by the stack are just shallow and not large enough for a sink.

The plan is to tie into the drain stack shown in the picture from the upstairs washroom with a 3x3x1 1/2" san tee, and then branch off the vent with a wye. The vent will go up and tie into the existing vent from the washing machine in the ceiling and then out the roof.

I would then bring the 1 1/2" pipe out beside the 2 heating ducts at the edge of the shallow cabinet with a long sweep 90 (I could also. This is the cabinet where the trap would be and then the trap arm would feed left into the sink cabinet to connect to the sink,

Is there any issue with this plan?

The only other option is to run the drain in the same wall as the copper pipes but then I need to break into a wall in the basement to tie into the stack there. I would then have no way to tie into the vent from the laundry as those heating ducts also run between the joists where the vent would need to go. Right where I need to tie in is an expansion joint so that would create another headache for me that is larger than I can likely manage.

Appreciate any feedback that's out there.
Laundry Sink.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there any issue with this plan?
No issue.
You might want to have the side port of the santee come out at 45 degrees, and then make the path follow along the wall with a 45. That would be better than making the turn with a 90.

If you have enough flex in the 3 inch drain pipe, you could glue the bottom of the santee, and use one coupler to a pipe glued into the top of the santee.

Tee Jay

Reaction score
No issue.
You might want to have the side port of the santee come out at 45 degrees, and then make the path follow along the wall with a 45. That would be better than making the turn with a 90.
Could I also run the santee side port come out straight into the wall and the come out with a 45 beside the ducts? I could then angle the pipe more into the cabinet that it should be.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could I also run the santee side port come out straight into the wall and the come out with a 45 beside the ducts? I could then angle the pipe more into the cabinet that it should be.
Yes. I was trying to avoid cutting the studs, but now that I think of it, your plan, with a 45 or a 90, is better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks