Adding Laundry Sink to existing plumbed Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

sdbg

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I know this has been asked before and I've read each thread to avoid posting - though none seem to be exactly my setup, or atleast I am struggling to translate to my setup.

Currently my laundry room has a washer and dryer side by side. I have stacked the washer dryer to create a roughly 36 inch area where I plan to drop in an undermount sink + cabinet next to the washer/dryer, with an upper cabinet above it at the ceiling level and backsplash in between cabinets. I want to move the washer inlets and standpipe so that they are not visible (not obstructing backsplash tiles), but still acessible. Ideally I would move them to below the sink, but I undertstand from other posts that I can not move the standpipe to below the sink, since it needs to be higher than the sink. So I'm thinking my options are to move the inlet and standpipe way up so that it is behind the new upper cabinet, (assuming the height would not cause an issue?), or perhaps some other option?

Can anyone help me by confirming how I could plumb this setup to achieve above? Though not in my image, I'm assuming there is one existing p-trap above the floor currently. Thanks all in advance.

1674663286139.png

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Generally you don't do more than 24"into the trap. So you'll have to raise the trap is you wanna go high. But sometimes there is a limit to how high your trap can be on a standpipe. Some your in Canada I think your code is closer to upc and your trap will need to be between 6amd 12 inches above the floor and your standpipe will need to be 24"max (these are simplified numbers). Meaning if you want your standpipe hidden you may have to change walls and run hoses across the room through cabinets or something.

sdbg

Reaction score
Thanks. Short of moving to a different wall, would there be any way to achieve this in the current pictured wall? I'm trying to understand how in "designer laundry rooms" of pintrest etc., it seems the standpipe and inlet valves are never visible. Wonder just where are people hiding these if they cannot be placed in a cabinet below the sink?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about your picture?

I think Canada is rather permissive on standpipes, including permitting traps below the floor that would not be allowed by UPC or IPC.

I think that picture you posted would be fine if you added the 2-inch trap between the standpipe and the trap arm.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. Short of moving to a different wall, would there be any way to achieve this in the current pictured wall? I'm trying to understand how in "designer laundry rooms" of pintrest etc., it seems the standpipe and inlet valves are never visible. Wonder just where are people hiding these if they cannot be placed in a cabinet below the sink?
Pictures can be deceiving. The last one I did where the customer wanted everything hidden, we put it behind the washer the standpipe and trap were both within legal limits dimension wise, but the box was below the flood rim of the appliance.

I explained to them that in a emergency situation where a hose broke they would have a hard time getting to it. They didn't care and I thought it was an acceptable compromise. The inspector didn't care.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pictures can be deceiving. The last one I did where the customer wanted everything hidden, we put it behind the washer the standpipe and trap were both within legal limits dimension wise, but the box was below the flood rim of the appliance.
I am wondering if the flood level of the washing machine is lower than somebody might think-- the top of the rotating tub, rather than top door or cabinet level. This could have something to do with why you are allowed to stick a WM hose down the standpipe rather than using an air gap.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am wondering if the flood level of the washing machine is lower than somebody might think-- the top of the rotating tub, rather than top door or cabinet level. This could have something to do with why you are allowed to stick a WM hose down the standpipe rather than using an air gap.
I think the washing machine hose is considered an air break and allowed to be below the flood rim of the "receptor". We've been going over air gaps and air breaks in another thread, but I think this is where the logic comes from. The appliance being a washing machine vs something to do with food or poop also plays a role... I think.

It being above the flood rim is I think a different logic related to piping/trap clogs. Our inspector is very lenient when it comes to strict code compliance. He always says "your licensed and represent a company, if it doesn't work or there's a problem you'll be the one's back to fix it".

sdbg

Reaction score
Appreciate all the feedback. Most likely I will proceed with my plan to raise the standpipe to behind the upper. The washer manufacturer is stating it can be to a maximum of 96" above the washer without addition pump equipment required. I'll probably be closer to 60", and since code seems to allow it, I should be good hopefully.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Canada requires standpipe above the overflow of the machine which I dont think is required in the USA

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks