Adding island sink drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Moorman

Reaction score
OK - moving my sink to an island. The closest drain pipe is the downstairs bathroom closet flange (to the right) and main stack (to the left). The new sink is pretty much 12FT to the right of the closet flange.

I might be redoing the bathroom floor (based on the staining around the flange), so I could replace the toilet flange and fittings.

I don't really want to cut into the main stack if I can help it. Can I replace the 90 degree fitting on the closet flange with something like this and combine the sink drain with the toilet? I'm just not sure there's enough room in the straight piece between the 90 and wye fitting to add a tee.
upload_2020-12-28_15-16-27.png

IMG_20201228_144407259.jpg

Thanks for any information - I know there are a lot of WRONG ways to do this - just looking for the right way that won't bite me down the road.

I know the sink needs a vent - I'm taking care of that already.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The LHO 1/4 bend you show is not approved for what you want to do, it can't be used on its back with the 2" as an inlet.

Scott Moorman

Reaction score
The LHO 1/4 bend you show is not approved for what you want to do, it can't be used on its back with the 2" as an inlet.
What about a wye in place of the straight section (assuming it fits) within the horizontal section? I'd have the drain line properly sloped.
upload_2020-12-28_16-14-20.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What about a wye in place of the straight section (assuming it fits) with the 2" horizontal? I'd have the drain line properly sloped.
Is that island sink for the bathroom, or is it for something else, such as a kitchen?

Scott Moorman

Reaction score
Is that island sink for the bathroom, or is it for something else, such as a kitchen?
Kitchen - with disposall. Moving existing sink to an island so I don't have access to the existing drain connection (or not as easy as this one).

Typo in the original reply - not sure where the 2" came from. That's a standard 4" size.

Reach4

Reaction score
Scott, you are supposed to vent the toilet before bringing in the kitchen waste.

Somebody may have a solution for venting that toilet.

Scott Moorman

Reaction score
Scott, you are supposed to vent the toilet before bringing in the kitchen waste.

Somebody may have a solution for venting that toilet.

Hmm. So it really sounds like combining the drains is just a bad idea - I should tap into the main stack... Bummer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks