Adding inline hard water filter (hot) to Aprilaire whole house humidifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Oldsyd

Reaction score
I have an Aprilaire 700 whole house humidifier on our residential home furnace and it works great. It is fed with hot water from a tank water heater through a ¼" copper tube.

We have hard water in the city and we've managed to get by without installing a soft water conditioner for about 10 years and not too many problems.

I'm wondering if it's possible to put an inline scale eliminator (hard water) filter between the hot water heater and the Aprilaire to reduce the amount of mineral build up on the water panel filter? The ones I've seen online aren't rated for hot water use and if they are they don't have the ¼" connections.

Since I'm not finding many answers here or online, I'm wondering if my idea isn't practical.

Thanks!

maxcool.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Most are made of plastic housing probably not rated for hot water. Pvc @ 120° f is rated a 0 pressure. For what the filters cost could buy two pads a year. Does the rh% fall off late in winter? Why the hot water electric furnace or heat pump?

Oldsyd

Reaction score
Most are made of plastic housing probably not rated for hot water. Pvc @ 120° f is rated a 0 pressure. For what the filters cost could buy two pads a year. Does the rh% fall off late in winter? Why the hot water electric furnace or heat pump?

I have found plastic scale reduction filers online, but they are for whole house hot water which would be overkill here. I'm spending about $30 per year on water panels because they get clogged with hard water deposits mid-winter. I was thinking if I could find a reasonably priced scale reduction in-line filter then I would be able to get by with 1 water panel filter a year.

The Aprilaire humidifier is fed with hot water because that's what the manufacturer recommended. Assuming hot water evaporates faster than cold water?

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks