Adding Drain to Existing Stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Custer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning on adding a drain to an existing vertical stack in our basement. I am adding a utility sink in my basement and it seems like the easiest way is to tap into the existing vertical line. After reading up on a lot of other posts, it seems like the best way is to splice in a sani-tee (with PVC stubs) with 2 shielded rubber couplers and then run a vent line in between that tee and the sink's p-trap. I've attached a pic of my game plan; does it look like I'm on the right track to add this drain? Thanks in advance for any help.

drainplan.jpg

Custer

Reaction score
It seems like this might be the only way to do it. I don't think a saddle would work/be allowed and there's not enough play in the stack to use a solvent welded coupling...

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber.

Your plan looks good. Make sure the pipe is supported before cutting. If the vent turns into a hardship, you could use an AAV instead. Vent is better.

If you use 2 inch for the drain, rather than 1.5, you have the potential to add a washer standpipe in the future.

Custer

Reaction score
Ok, sounds good, thanks. That's a good point about 2" for a future standpipe, although the sink is going to be used for a home brewery...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks