Adding Boiler Treatment to Closed Loop Heating System

Users who are viewing this thread

EJR-VT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a closed loop baseboard hot water heating system with two zones (one upstairs and one downstairs) in my home. The gas-fired boiler is in the basement. I don't have any air vents on the individual zones, just near the boiler itself. I am attempting to add boiler treatment/cleaner to the system, but to do that I have to drain down the boiler which will introduce air into the system when I refill.

Typically, when I need to purge air out of my system, I isolate one loop at a time and flush water through until the air is gone. But if I do that, it'll flush out the treatment liquid.

Any ideas?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A hydronic closed system very rarely needs any type of chemicals

If you have to you can on install a TEE and a valve and a check valve at any convenient place on the system and force the chemical treatment in

When the system is drained enough so the uppermost heating convector /radiator etc is not leaking you can install a Tee C X C X F and place a hose bib (ball type) with a cap

Then when you need to purge the air out you can attach a hose and open the valve to bleed as much air as needed

Fitter30

Reaction score
If theres valves on both sides of boiler could valve boiler off drain it down pull relief valve pour it in. If you have a bladder expansion tank a Spirotherm air bleed would take air out the system.

EJR-VT

Reaction score
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

I do have valves on both sides of the boiler so I can isolate the boiler loop from the zones. I also have an expansion tank on the boiler and air bleeders, so I'll give it a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks