Adding Boiler Treatment to Closed Loop Heating System

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by EJR-VT, Apr 9, 2021.

1. EJR-VT

EJR-VT New Member

Hi All,

I have a closed loop baseboard hot water heating system with two zones (one upstairs and one downstairs) in my home. The gas-fired boiler is in the basement. I don't have any air vents on the individual zones, just near the boiler itself. I am attempting to add boiler treatment/cleaner to the system, but to do that I have to drain down the boiler which will introduce air into the system when I refill.

Typically, when I need to purge air out of my system, I isolate one loop at a time and flush water through until the air is gone. But if I do that, it'll flush out the treatment liquid.

Any ideas?

2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    A hydronic closed system very rarely needs any type of chemicals

If you have to you can on install a TEE and a valve and a check valve at any convenient place on the system and force the chemical treatment in

When the system is drained enough so the uppermost heating convector /radiator etc is not leaking you can install a Tee C X C X F and place a hose bib (ball type) with a cap

Then when you need to purge the air out you can attach a hose and open the valve to bleed as much air as needed

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    If theres valves on both sides of boiler could valve boiler off drain it down pull relief valve pour it in. If you have a bladder expansion tank a Spirotherm air bleed would take air out the system.

5. EJR-VT

EJR-VT New Member

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

I do have valves on both sides of the boiler so I can isolate the boiler loop from the zones. I also have an expansion tank on the boiler and air bleeders, so I'll give it a try.