Adding bathroom on second floor - DWV design

Users who are viewing this thread

Shackatoa

Reaction score
1) I am adding a full bath upstairs directly over 1st floor bath. Can I tie driectly into the stack? I have attached a rudimetary drawing of my design. (The 1st floor sink and shower are not vented, but I can do that if need be.)

2) If I can tie directly into the stack above the 1st floor ceiling, how to I connect the new drain pipe to the stack? I have seen instructions calling for couplings between sections of pipe cemented to the tee, but is that necessary? Is is possible to just cut out a section and add the tee without couplings? Same goes for the tee for the vent. (P.S. I have secured the stack in the attic so it will not drop after cutting out a section below.)

ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
newbath_Page_2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

The fixtures from above can't run down the vent of the bathroom below.
Waste from above comes in "below" the first floor.
Vents from below, tie in at 42" above the second floor.

The drawing shows that neither of the two (sinks) lavs are vented. The traps will siphon and you sewer smell will be noticable.

Shackatoa

Reaction score
dwv_b2.jpg

The drawing shows that neither of the two (sinks) lavs are vented. The traps will siphon and you sewer smell will be noticable.
Okay. Thanks! I will go back to the drawing board using your diagram.o_O
dwv_b2.jpg

:)

Shackatoa

Reaction score
You CANNOT connect to that "vent stack", so how to do it is irrelevant.
I was wrong about that stack. There are no fixtures attached to it. It runs from the drain line in the basement up through the roof and is 4 inch PVC. Nothing on the first floor vents into that stack. I do not smell any gas odors.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In that case WHY IS IT THERE, since it would provide no function and plumbers do NOT usually spend time and material installing useless items, especially 4" pipes.

Shackatoa

Reaction score
In that case WHY IS IT THERE, since it would provide no function and plumbers do NOT usually spend time and material installing useless items, especially 4" pipes.
Maybe I am not being clear. The stack is attached to the horizontal drain line in the basement. All fixtures drain into the drain line west of stack. The drain line continues to the septic tank east of the stack. This house was built in 1912 and the plumbing wasn't installed until pvc was available. I believe I can use that stack as the second floor soil stack if I vent all the 1st floor fixtures (+ vent 2nd floor) above the second floor drain line. Am I wrong?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No way to answer your question until we see EXACTLY what your existing system looks like, since THEY may not be installed properly in the first place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The vents would NOT be in your picture. They would be inside the walls, so without more information your "no vents" statement may be incorrect. And if my assumption is correct, the "vents in the wall" WILL connect to that 4" line which would preclude you from connecting your upstairs bath to the riser.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks