Adding basement floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I have a 4" cast iron pipe under my basement floor and plan to Y into it to run an additional 3" drain pipe to a new soil stack diagonally about 12 feet across the room. This new stack will serve a new bathroom on the 1st floor. Since there is no floor drain where the new stack will be, and its right next to my water heater and boiler, I would like to add a floor drain (for overflow) in this area. My city follows the 2012 Virginia code, which I believe is based on the IPC.

I've found conflicting guidance about how to rough in the pipe for the new floor drain and connect it to the new 3" drain pipe.
1. Should I use 3" pipe or 2" pipe for an emergency overflow drain connection?
2. If 3" is best, where do I find off-the-shelf P-traps with a trap primer and other connections? Sioux chief has a nice trap for 2" that has a trap primer connection, built in clean-out plug, etc., but sells nothing similar for a 3" trap.
3. If you use 3" pipe for the floor drain, are the venting requirements any different? I've found a few discussions that seem to say that if you use a 3" pipe and the trap arm is between 18" and 12' that a vent is not needed. However, in most discussions its not clear what plumbing code they are following.

I will follow up with a diagram later, but for now I'm just looking for initial advice on how to plan for the floor drain. I need to get the general plan nailed down before I start jack hammering cement.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks