Adding another bathroom on the second level

Users who are viewing this thread

brianh2000

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a foreclosed home. I would like to eliminate one of the 5 bedrooms upstairs and convert two into one large mastersuite.

I would like to turn half of one bedroom into a second master bathroom.

Heres my secenerio:

There are two bathrooms side by side, MtrBa and Hallway Bath. The toilets share the wall in between to the two rooms.

The third bathroom would be on the opposite sde of the hallway bathroom. The wall is shared by the hallway bathroom Tub...

My question is how far away from the Vent/or toilet drain pipe can I install a toilet? The distance from the new location to the wall the toilet pipe is located is approximately 10 feet.

My plan is to run the pipe below the beams and box it in the kitchen below creating a Soffit.

My concern is that whether or not a distance of 10 feet is too far away from the pipe going down causing a vaccuum problem.

I need this answer as soon as possible in order to make an offer on the house. The work would be done by a professional plumber and carpenter, but being that it is Sunday I won't have time to get someone to look at it before making an offer.

I desparately need this advice today as I need to make an offer on this house today.

Thanks...

brianh2000

Reaction score
still a problem

If all else fails ,

you can always install an Auto air vent
for that toilet in an access panel .behind it....

its no big deal...

at least in our state....

The problem with that, is that on the other side of the wall the toilet will share is the other bathrooms bathtub...

This is a great alternative if acceptable in VA... The real question I need answered is the ten foot distance too far? This is the make or break question for me, I can't buy this house if I cannot add that third bathroom.

Thanks

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The Bulkhead Makes It Possible

Dont just take my word for this ...

I do not want you going postal on me if VA is vastly differnt

but if you plan on installing a bulkhead and run
the drian line down through it,, possibly
going down through a closet and to the basement

you will probably win
no matter what transpires....

the bulkhead usually will make anything possible
no fuss , no mess chopping up joysts, no problem getting water lines up to the new bath...ect... ...

the Auto air vent is the alternative to tearing the whole
house up to get a vent....

of course its much better if you can re-vent
the system somewhere....
who knows ...it might be possible....

Auto air vents are legal just about everywherer but check it out with Lowes and see if they sell them in your area
thats a good clue ..... Home Depo might have them too...

as far as distance the bathroom can run quite a ways as long as it has fall , and 10 feet is nothing ...

call a local plumber and simply ask

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Some codes and areas will allow a 10' run so you need to check with plumbers in your local area. BUT, if 10' is legal, that would not automatically mean that YOUR toilet could be installed, because that is usually just a part of the equation, and the plumber would have to evaluate the rest of the system to be sure that nothing else would prevent the installation. But as a practical matter, as my Dad used to say, "Anything can be done if you have enough time and money", so your method of installing a toilet is not necessarily the only, or even the best, way.

brianh2000

Reaction score
thanks

Some codes and areas will allow a 10' run so you need to check with plumbers in your local area. BUT, if 10' is legal, that would not automatically mean that YOUR toilet could be installed, because that is usually just a part of the equation, and the plumber would have to evaluate the rest of the system to be sure that nothing else would prevent the installation.

Time is not on my side on this one. I need a good rule of thumb %. This is home was built in 1987, the home has four bathrooms....

2 upper level baths, side-by-side share a commen wall where the drain pipe resides..

1 main level bathroom in close proximity to the other two, however appears to have it's own vent.

1 lower level bathroom which appears to be in line with the Upper level bathrooms...

What other issues would the plumber need to consider?

The use of the Soffit in the kitchen might be out of the question with a 2 1/2 foot pipe pitch.

I need a make a decision on an offer to buy this house.. unfortunatley it is Sunday, so I have no access to local plumbers to look at this job.. But If I can get a good feel as to whether or not it's possible, I might consider making the offer at the risk of my deposit if the offer is accepted until I can get someone to come take a closer look.

The bulkhead idea might work, but the problem is there is no closet to run the lines. This bathroom will sit right abouve the center of a fairly large kitchen. On the nearest outside wall is a window, so that is out as well.

Thanks again

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

A 10' pipe pitches 2 1/2 inches, not feet. Whether your scenario is possible as you describe it depends on how the rest of the piping is arranged and how the toilet's connection would be made. If the pipe is going under the current ceiling, then it must require a new connection. I have never had a situation where the customer wants something and it could not be done. Sometimes it just has to be done a little differently.

brianh2000

Reaction score
Thanks

A 10' pipe pitches 2 1/2 inches, not feet. Whether your scenario is possible as you describe it depends on how the rest of the piping is arranged and how the toilet's connection would be made. If the pipe is going under the current ceiling, then it must require a new connection. I have never had a situation where the customer wants something and it could not be done. Sometimes it just has to be done a little differently.

I appreciate your response.. cleared up some confusion for me.. I think this will be possible if the VA code allows for 10ft... Just a matter of confirming and then deciding if we want to really make a mess of the kitchen ceiling, walls and removing the cabinets. This will not be an easy job but can be done.. My only worry was about the distance and whether 10ft was uncommon or ill advised...

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Whether the home centers have faucets or parts on the shelf for sale is no indication that they are code approved for your area.
The local inspectors here tried to get them to remove illegal plumbing items from the shelves, and couldn't get it done.
The attitude, was "We are bigger than your city, get over it!"

However, the inpecters wouldn't pass the illegal faucets, or fittings, so it caused many problems and wasted money for the homeowners.
Buying the wrong parts is not an exuse.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Terry. I see many things at the home centers that a plumber can't install. Like the 3 handle tub/shower valves. They will tell you everything is fine or they would not sell it. That is why some people should not try to do plumbing. How many Ferncos have we all seen above ground small than 2". The one I love the most is the Fernco "P" trap w/ the 1.25" Inlet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Obviously the people buying these parts I stock that are illegal in the area where the store is located are driving long distances to the store to get them to use in an area where they are permitted...

Some of my best sellers are:
Fernco tee's, traps, and wye's
Bottle Traps
Floor drains with Bell Traps
Whirlpool Water Heaters
Champion toilets

We have what the customer needs!

smockmanapron.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks