Adding air into tank not raising PSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel_FL

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

I’ve searched but didn’t see a post for this (or couldn’t find it). Great forum btw!

My question is about adding air into my Well-X wx302 tank. When adding air into the schrader valve, the psi never goes above 20psi.

Back story, my wife was complaining about the lack of water pressure for months so I recently checked the outside spigot pressure and it was about 25psi.

I replaced the pressure switch (40/60) and gauge. My pressure is now up to 35psi on that spigot.

I wanted to make sure everything is in good shape so shut off the power and drained the tank. I took a pressure reading at the schrader valve on the top of the tank at it was 19psi. (To be sure, tried 3 gauges).

I hook up a bike pump and started pumping air but it never increased the pressure, next I got my air compressor and same deal. I drain the tank and it is lite and can move. When it is pressurized to 60psi, I can tap the tank and hear a difference.

My tank will cut-in at 40psi and count out at 60psi. It holds pressure at 60 and slowly drains as we use it.

Seems everything is perfect but I’m not sure about the pre-pressured air.

Is there anything else I can do to test the system and need to check?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the bladder won't hold air, the tank is shot. Essentially, the bladder is a big balloon...it should hold air. It's possible that the Schrader valve is leaking, but it's more likely to be the tank is shot. With the pump off, the system drained and a valve open, you should be able to pump the tank up to a pound or two below the cut-on pressure for your pump. Without that, you'll generate a lot more wear on the pump system by increasing the cycles. The stem for the Schrader valve could be loose and leaking, but it's more often the bladder itself.

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is about adding air into my Well-X wx302 tank. When adding air into the schrader valve, the psi never goes above 20psi.
Precharge air for a pressure tank is always measuredk for purposes of setting that pressure,when the water pressure is zero. With a submersible pump and a 40/60 pressure switch, set the air precharge to 38. With a jet pump, set it to about 36.

When the the water pressure is higher than the precharge level, the water pressure and air pressure will be about the same. If that is not the case, the air pressure gauge and/or the water pressure gauge is off.

Daniel_FL

Reaction score
Precharge air for a pressure tank is always measuredk for purposes of setting that pressure,when the water pressure is zero. With a submersible pump and a 40/60 pressure switch, set the air precharge to 38. With a jet pump, set it to about 36.

When the the water pressure is higher than the precharge level, the water pressure and air pressure will be about the same. If that is not the case, the air pressure gauge and/or the water pressure gauge is off.

I drained the tank 4 times to a Zero water pressure. I’ve tried to add air into the schrader valve with hand pump and air compressor, neither gets above 20psi.

Do these tanks take a lot of air volume to get the air pressure to rise?

I currently just shut off the power and the gate valve to the house to see if it holds pressure at 60psi in the tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do these tanks take a lot of air volume to get the air pressure to rise?
Yes. It takes a lot more air to pump up a car tire than a bicycle tire. It takes a lot more air to pump up a wx-302 86 gallon (11.5 cubic ft) well pressure tank than a car tire. An average car tire has an air volume on the order of 5 gallons.

"250 psi compressors" are mostly junk. In picking a compressor for this job, you want a CFM (cubic ft per minute) specification. A psi rating alone is not meaningful and is usually the mark of really slow compressor. A CFM rating should be given at a pressure. 40 psi is a common reference point. So is 90, but the 40 psi reference would be the most meaningful for you. CFM without a pressure reference is not meaningful.

I think pumping for 1 minute, a 1 cfm@40 psi compressor should raise the pressure about 1.2 psi or so.

I don't know if it is important to use an oil-free compressor. I don't see warnings about that, so maybe it is not important. So I think that means it is not important.

Last edited:

Daniel_FL

Reaction score
Yes. It takes a lot more air to pump up a car tire than a bicycle tire. It takes a lot more air to pump up a wx-302 86 gallon (11.5 cubic ft) well pressure tank than a car tire. An average car tire has an air volume on the order of 5 gallons.

"250 psi compressors" are mostly junk.

Great thank you!! Begun adding air to the tank now and it’s up to 30psi!
And guess what happens?? My old compressor that I’ve had for years died!

Guess it’s better to replace the compressor than a well tank !!

Off to the store to see what I can get, will update once I get the tank up to 38psi and see how it responds.

Daniel_FL

Reaction score
Great thank you!! Begun adding air to the tank now and it’s up to 30psi!
And guess what happens?? My old compressor that I’ve had for years died!

Guess it’s better to replace the compressor than a well tank !!

Off to the store to see what I can get, will update once I get the tank up to 38psi and see how it responds.

Thanks for the help! Tank has been air charged to 38psi and running good since. Cuts on at 40 and out around 59-60.

Daniel_FL

Reaction score
Will do! Tank and underground pump are il about 14yrs old. First time checking on it, (Replaced pressure switch and gauge few times). Didn’t know that this was possible.. but lesson learned! Will keep and eye on it for a few weeks.

Should I drain the tank to check the air pressure?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Will do! Tank and underground pump are il about 14yrs old. First time checking on it, (Replaced pressure switch and gauge few times). Didn’t know that this was possible.. but lesson learned! Will keep and eye on it for a few weeks.

Should I drain the tank to check the air pressure?

YES! The only way to check air pressure in a tank is with the pump off and all the water drained from the tank first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks