Adding air handler to minisplit: is there an isolation valve??

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Theodore, May 26, 2020.

1. Theodore

Theodore Member

Hi. I have a SeaBreeze mini split heat pump, model SMZ42H46ZOGX. It has 5 ports in total, and I currently have 4 in use. I’ve recently prepared the last indoor air unit for the 5th and final port to be connected. I’ve gotten a couple of quotes from HVAC folks for the connection, but they seem to disagree with one critical item: first company says they can connect the last unit without evacuating the entire system because they know there’s an isolation valve in the unit to isolate the final line we’re adding, while second company says there is no isolation valve in the unit and they have to remove all the refrigerant in the system and reinstall after the final air handler is attached. Cost was higher for the guy who said he has to evacuate the system.

I didn't see anything obvious to me (as a non-HVAC person) when I looked inside the outdoor unit, and I’ve studied the only manual I can find:

http://www.irproducts.biz/support/parts-manuals/file/6536-smz42h46zogx-service-manual?start=20

but not sure if there is an actual isolation valve in there for each port. Wondering if anyone can flip through this manual and advise with certainty?

Many thanks

Theodore

2. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Manual shows only two stop valves for the 5 zone system. Take a look where the lines run it/out of the unit. Do you see caps next to each line? Post a pic.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Theodore

Theodore Member

Photos, as suggested.

IMG_8284.JPG IMG_8285.JPG IMG_8284.JPG IMG_8285.JPG IMG_8286.JPG IMG_8288.JPG

Attached Files:

5. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Looks like there is only two sevice valves so charge has to reclaimed, leak tested, evacuated and charge weighed in.