Adding additional circuits to garage - best way?

Users who are viewing this thread

UMGRAD1

Reaction score
Hello,

need some advice as to the best way to add two circuits to my garage. I need to install a 60A circuit for a welder and a 40A circuit for a garage heater. The issue is that the subpanel (100A) closest to the garage is full and the main panel (200A service) is at the other end of the house.

This 100A subpanel carries the kitchen and garage circuits including several big ones - one being the well pump and the other a double oven. The subpanel is fed with 2 AWG (2-2-2-4) AL SER from the main panel and there is about 100 ft. between them (but not 100% sure of distance).

Assuming that the garage heater and welder are both used at once (lets say winter) then conceivably there is 100A being used - excluding all other loads.

Note that we are throwing around the possibility of getting a pool (NG heater - not electric) so I wanted to let everyone know in advance in case this changes anyone's opinion.

I am wondering before I pull my permit if the best solution to meet my needs and have maximum flexibility for future is to extend another 100A circuit from the main panel and install the same size subpanel next to he existing one (essentially mimicking that has already been done) and run the new circuits to my garage from there while leaving 1/2 dozen slots open for future planning.

Any thoughts anyone? Is there an easier way of skinning this cat?

Thanks for any redirect

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With your additional loads, are you sure your 200A service is sufficient? If the kitchen is all electric, it could be eating up a lot of the 100A service on the subpanel by itself. What's on the main panel?

UMGRAD1

Reaction score
With your additional loads, are you sure your 200A service is sufficient? If the kitchen is all electric, it could be eating up a lot of the 100A service on the subpanel by itself. What's on the main panel?

Only oven is electric. Everything else is gas. The main panel has the HVAC and the rest of the house circuits which comprises mainly of lighting and plugs. (It excludes the kitchen and garage circuits including the well, D/W, oven and garage circuits)

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Your heater and welder are requiring a 40a and 60a breakers. It doesn’t mean each appliance will use the full amperage draw of the cuircuit. The welder may have a max of around 48 amps but only a few seconds at a time depending what is behind weld. The heater maybe 32 amps. Welders do not draw continuous current where as an electric heater will.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The new subpanel should go IN the garage. If the garage is detached, you will need to install grounding rods for the new subpanel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks