Adding a Utility Sink next to Washer, stumped on drain and vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Flyers1010

Reaction score
First off, I need to say how awesome this site is. Terry and company do a fantastic job. I've Googled a lot of plumbing questions and Google keeps pointing me here. So I figured I'd register.

I'm finishing my basement and have some basic (I hope) plumbing to take care of. This particular question is hopefully straight forward. I'd like to tie in a utility sink to the right of the washer. I'm wondering how to tie in the utility sink drain and vent. I've seen Terry's goto picture for this and I think that exact config would be pretty tough since my main stack is setup how it is.

I had this house built in 2004 and this is the original plumbing. I'm looking for the easiest, yet reliable and code-meeting setup. Is there anyway to tie into that horizontal 2" (washer) drain and the 1.5" vertical vent? I'd rather not tie into the 3" vertical drain due to the tight layout for framing and drywall. Thanks a ton in advance!

Mike

IMG_0744.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your best bet it to cut out the lower connection where the two 3" lines combine and use a double fitting there. Essentially making it a three way connection. The sink will need a drain low enough to be usable anyway. If you need to slighty raise the tee for the washer, that's doable.

The vent above the washer can be tapped into for the sink vent.

It looks like a 22 bend below the wye. If you need to remove the pipe from the hub, you can use a rambit on a drill to remove it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks