Adding A Universal Remote To An Existing Remoteless Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Kenny4

Reaction score
Right now I have 2 wall switches. One for the light and the other for the fan. So far it seems the general consensus is I'll have to settle for one wall switch after adding the remote. The installation will be black to black and white to white on the power side and like colors to the fan side including the blue to blue, which eliminates the previous red to the light, which they say now has to be capped off and isolated. My question is, what would happen if you tied the 2 blue together, (for the light) and also tied in the hot red to those two blues? Would I then have separate master switches for both fan and light again, ( or would I burn the place down, YIKES). Thanks

Kenny

Stuff

Reaction score
It should work but would be a code violation. There is a rule about conductors in parallel. FYI: both switch and remote would have to be off to turn light off.

Kenny4

Reaction score
There are no manufacturers specs as this is an existing already installed fan, that has no remote and I am adding a universal remote that also has no specs with it. The home I just moved from had remotes on the fans, but also had 2 switches on the wall, so you could just turn the light on and off as you entered that room. That is what I was trying to accomplish.

Kenny

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks