Adding A Universal Remote To An Existing Remoteless Fan

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Kenny4, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Kenny4

Kenny4 New Member

Right now I have 2 wall switches. One for the light and the other for the fan. So far it seems the general consensus is I'll have to settle for one wall switch after adding the remote. The installation will be black to black and white to white on the power side and like colors to the fan side including the blue to blue, which eliminates the previous red to the light, which they say now has to be capped off and isolated. My question is, what would happen if you tied the 2 blue together, (for the light) and also tied in the hot red to those two blues? Would I then have separate master switches for both fan and light again, ( or would I burn the place down, YIKES). Thanks

Kenny

2. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

It should work but would be a code violation. There is a rule about conductors in parallel. FYI: both switch and remote would have to be off to turn light off.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    why not just connect the wires the way the device manufacturer specified?

5. Kenny4

Kenny4 New Member

There are no manufacturers specs as this is an existing already installed fan, that has no remote and I am adding a universal remote that also has no specs with it. The home I just moved from had remotes on the fans, but also had 2 switches on the wall, so you could just turn the light on and off as you entered that room. That is what I was trying to accomplish.

Kenny