Adding a stand alone shower...where do I tie into stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reevesk3

Reaction score
Hello to all....
I have attached a sketch (my best lol) of my plumbing layout for reference but I plan to add a stand alone shower to my current bathroom which has just a tub/shower. My question is where do I tie into my current system with the 2" pvc that will come from the new shower?

On the 2nd floor is where im adding a stand alone shower. if the stack is behind my toilet with 3" copper, where should i tie in the 2" pvc coming from the new stand up shower?

Attachments

• IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 97

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As important, if not more so, is where you end up connecting to the vent system. ON a 2" drain required for a new shower, before you can turn down, the vent must come off within 5' by most codes.

Once you've vented the line, it can continue for as long as you want to connect to the main drain line as long as you maintain at least the minimum slope of 1/4" per foot.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reevesk3

Reaction score
Ok, let me first start by saying that Im trying to do this with some experience but no code experience or terminology understanding so please, dumb it down for me……but I can grasp a somewhat detailed explanation just without the master plumber lingo…..I’ve attached a file that will show the other drain that I have access to. So, let me reiterate….I have two drains in my home; originally, the smaller of the two drains which is illustrated by the terrible drawing attached has a kitchen sink 1.5” trap over to a 1.5" Tee and down to the basement into the ground. It also vents up to the roof where it goes to a 2” as it enters the attic onto the boot. This line is copper… I also have. 3” main stack illustrated by the two pics of which one shows the view from the basement and the other pic shows the 2nd floor drain that exits through the roof. This drain accommodates two toilets, two sinks and a laundry tub and washing machine. I tried to do a good drawing of this in my first post and I’m not too sure of how much of a good job i did..... 6 months ago I added a utility sink onto the 1.5” drain that was solely for the kithchen sink… . This could be plumbed wrong by not meeting code for venting as I’m not sure but just needed to inform the reader. Well, this is what I have and I would like to add a stand alone shower to my bathroom and would like to know where is the best option to tie in and the best way how to. In a perfect world, I’d like to attach to the 1.5” drain because it’s on the wall where the shower will be. Any help would help. Thanks! hope it all makes sense.....

Attachments

• two2.jpg
    two2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 94
  • one1.jpeg
    one1.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 100
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks