Adding a sink to laundry room, up to code

Users who are viewing this thread

thejonr

Reaction score
Hey all. Relatively new to plumbing and have been learning a lot reading through past threads on here. I decided to add a sink to my laundry room and in doing so, wanted to make sure everything that had been done by the previous owner was up to code, from the looks of it, it's not.

The goal is to add the sink to the left of the washer and dryer, T the water in right behind there, then drain out on the right side (back wall is 8ft wide) where the washer drains. I am looking for advice on the best way to add a vent and tie in the sink drain without causing any major problems. I've attached a photo of the current setup.

Thank you for your help! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_115817.jpg
    IMG_20200327_115817.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 258

Reach4

Reaction score
Your current setup is flawed. The stand pipe needs a vent. So I would make your new setup fix that.

If you have a front-load washer, you could elevate the washer and dryer. Let the drain run across inside the platform at the same height that the current horizontal PVC runs at. You could use the front part of the platform for storage if the elevation was enough.

You don't want to cut away those outside wall studs to pass a drain line.

Is your whole house fed from the PEX in the lower right? It looks small. The reason I even ask is the "softener loop".

Last edited:

thejonr

Reaction score
Your current setup is flawed. The stand pipe needs a vent. So I would make your new setup fix that.

If you have a front-load washer, you could elevate the washer and dryer. Let the drain run across inside the platform at the same height that the current horizontal PVC runs at. You could use the front part of the platform for storage if the elevation was enough.

You don't want to cut away those outside wall studs to pass a drain line.

Is your whole house fed from the PEX in the lower right? It looks small. The reason I even ask is the "softener loop".

The whole house is a mix of PEX and copper. Mainly the rooms that have been remodeled. We haven't experienced any lack of pressure yet!

I agree that I need to fix some things they did wrong. Assume I was to run the drain across the back wall and tied it in, what would that tie in look like? I would have to tie in after the washer trap but then add a vent as well. I'm having a hard time visualizing it, where to put the vent, and where to tie in the drain without needing to drill through a stud.

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
You would probably swing the trap on the standpipe the other way to give more space for the combo.

If you don't elevate the machines, you could increase the wall thickness to accommodate part of the drain pipe and more insulation.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 244
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks