Adding a Shutoff Valve to a Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Manuel Angel Batrez

Reaction score
I currently have a PVC Sch 40 Ball Valve as the shutoff of cold water into my water heater. I'm afraid of breaking it everytime I try to shut it off. I need to use a wrench to fully close it. I was wondering if there was a way to install a new shutoff valve "down the line". The current Ball Valve connects to a end that connects to a 3/4 FIP x 3/4 FIP Water Heater Connector. My question is, is there an easy way to connect a new shutoff valve from the end that connects to the Water Heater Connector?

Reach4

Reaction score
Something like this -- 3/4" MIP x FIP Full Port Forged Brass Ball Valve?
40533w-1.jpg

Manuel Angel Batrez

Reaction score
Thank You so much. I knew there was an easy fix, i just couldn't find it online.
Next question, what kind of water heater connector should I use. Should I stick with the copper line or with a steel one?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flex lines are required in most earthquake prone areas. Some other places require it to be hard piped. Some allow either. Flex, corrugated copper or ss lines are easier since you don't have to be as exact. Earthquake country also requires straps on the WH to keep it from falling over.

Manuel Angel Batrez

Reaction score
***Update***
Should have been a quick install but unfortunately the threads on the plastic 3/4 male that was going to screw in the "3/4" MIP x FIP Full Port Forged Brass Ball Valve" was messed up. So I cut it off. I was going to use the copper couping to 3/4 Mip that came with the hose kit but I don't think I could use it on PVC. So i was thinking about using this.
697285500952sm.jpg
or this
038561046670sm.jpg
Suggestions.
PS the cold water line that goes to my water heater is PVC. (Houston,Texas)

Reach4

Reaction score
If you use the one on the right, will that put the thread at the right place? If so, I would use that. I think I would screw the flex onto the adapter before gluing the adapter to the PVC.

On the other hand, if you are going to have some other pipe between the PVC and the flex line, say so.

Reach4

Reaction score
That works. You will probably want to add support near the valve.

You can also get flex lines that look like this, which would eliminate a nipple if you choose a FIP FIP valve:
stainless-water-heater-flex-075fip-075mip-18.jpg

Manuel Angel Batrez

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I wanted to do it right and not use that copper coupling. As far as the nipple, just thread it with teflon and I will be okay right? I already hooked up the gas line and use sealant "putty". Can i use it on the nipples as well instead of teflon?

Manuel Angel Batrez

Reaction score
Reach4

I couldn't find the "3/4" MIP x FIP Full Port Forged Brass Ball Valve" at Lowe's, so I got a FIP xFIP instead. That's why i'm using the Male x male nipple.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what your sealant putty is; it may be pipe compound. On both sides of the valve in your drawing, you can use either PTFE (Teflon) or pipe compound (such as Rectorseal #5 on metal), but there is some advantage to using both.

On the gaskets on the flex connector, you can use a bit of silicone grease. I would, but most don't.

Phog

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I wanted to do it right and not use that copper coupling. As far as the nipple, just thread it with teflon and I will be okay right? I already hooked up the gas line and use sealant "putty". Can i use it on the nipples as well instead of teflon?

Without addressing the water plumbing questions, I wanted to respond to the gas plumbing mention. It is absolutely critical to get right & super dangerous if you don't.

For sealing the gas line, you would use only gas rated pipe dope. Hopefully this is what you mean by "putty". Do NOT put plumber's putty on there and think it's the same thing. Gas rated pipe dope only, and always check for leaks using a leak detection compound at minimum.

Also, flex lines are typically installed differently than pipe nipples. Flex lines have a "flare" fitting and usually the manufacturer will specifically say to NOT put pipe dope on a flex line connection, as it can supposedly interfere with proper sealing. (This may start a debate as some people put a dab of dope on anyway; I'm not taking a position, just relaying what the flex line manufacturers usually say in their instructions).

gas-line-connection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks