Adding a shower to a 1907 home in Hoquiam, WA for my brother Clare

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My last project was gutting a half bath and turning it into a 3/4 bath with shower for my brother Clare so that he can skip the stairs to the 2nd floor bathroom which is tough to access since the stroke that put him in a wheelchair. The stroke was in November and his daughter has been kind, taking care of him. The plan is to make his home accessible again to him.

Clare-remodel-02.jpg

The before on the left, the job as in it's current place on the right.

clare-2022-04.jpg
clare-2022-06.jpg

I can't lift the countertop and carry it out, so a sledgehammer to break it and make it easier to carry.

clare-2022-07.jpg

clare-2022-08.jpg

The wall heater is located where the shower needs to go. The electrical box is unmarked, so a non-contact voltage tester lets me know which breaker to flip before removing it.

clare-2022-09.jpg
clare-2022-10.jpg

The floor is out of level, a home built on ancient ocean bed, very little support below.

clare-2022-11.jpg

The pan shimmed to level, then lifted back up to add the piles of mortar, the pan squished down, lathing screws to hold it in place through the pre-drilled holes.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
clare-2022-12.jpg

New ABS drains for lav with AAV, shower and toilet relocation.
Copper in the walls, PEX below, and yes some push fittings accessible below. Considering that I had Covid two weeks previous, and my energy levels were down this Winter and Spring already, it was what it was. Even so, Jamie and I did this on a 13 hour day on a Saturday. I had a colonoscopy scheduled for Monday, which is when they found a 5 CM mystery thing they took a biopsy of and now they want to CATscan me.
By Sunday after a 9 hour day, Jamie and I at least had a working bathroom in place. If we had more time to throw at it, we would have replaced the flooring and painted the walls light gray to go with the white cabinets.

clare-2022-13.jpg

Moen Posi-Temp set up for a handheld.

clare-2022-14.jpg

Ready for the Delta 400 wall set.

clare-2022-15.jpg

Jamie setting the cabinet, shimming the legs.

clare-2022-16.jpg

TOTO Drake 2021 CST776CEFG with C2 Washlet.

clare-2022-17.jpg

I took Doug's advice and offset the rail and the water outlet to either side of the valve so that the hose would loop on either side of the valve. Tuttles Revenge is Doug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks