Adding a shower to a 1/2 bath

Users who are viewing this thread

EMJ65

Reaction score
Hello! I'm so happy to have found this forum today! I have a question (or ten) regarding the addition of a shower in a 1/2 bath that has none.

The bathroom itself contains a sink/vanity and toilet on one wall, and the opposite wall backs up to a hall closet (this half bath is located on the first floor of my home). The bathroom is located above the laundry room on the lower level of the house (finished basement). I am planning on using half the closet (it's about 76" wide and probably about 35" deep) to house the stall. At this point, I'm just wondering who I should call to find out a) if this can be done, and b) an estimate of how much it would cost.

This is also a condo (3 level duplex) and I guess I should probably talk to the condo association to ensure I can make such a change (in the grand scheme of things, this, to me, would not be a major change as long as I am not impeding upon my neighbor's property).

A smaller hall closet is a small price to pay to add to this 1/2 bath, and I think it would increase the value of the home.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, all things are possible if you have enough money and time. You have to overcome some gotcha's in a condo situation - you may need to access a neighbor's unit to complete the plumbing. It depends on how the existing water and drain lines are layed out. The shower needs a 2" drain line, a connection to the vent system, and obviously, hot and cold water. Where the existing lines run, and how big they are will determine how easy or hard this is to do.

You may not know how big the job is until you start tearing apart walls and maybe the floor. If you also own the room underneath this area, then it should be easier since you can tear the ceiling out and maybe do things from there. Depending on which way the drain lines run, there may be no way to run it except below the joists. This could mean boxing it out. If you own that space, that may be okay, but your neighbor probably wouldn't like it. No way to tell for sure until you tear some things out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks