ADDING A SHOWER TO A 1/2 BATH IN BASEMENT

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew McIntyre

Reaction score
i HAVE A LARGE 1/2 BATH IN MY BASEMENT WITH CONCRETE FLOORS. i HAVE BEEN WANTING TO ADD A SHOWER. i KNOW I WILL PRPPABBLY NEED TO ABOUT THE CONCRETE FLOOR NEED SOME HELP ON WAKING ME THROUGH AND HOW TO CONNECT THE DRAIN AND VENT LINES

NOT SURE IF CAD FLOOR DIAGRAM MADE BUT CURRENT SET UP IS TOILET THEN SINK NEAR DOOR, WOULD LIKE TO ADD SHOWER, MOVE TOILET OVER SO IT IS BETWEEN SHOWER AND SINK

mcintyre-01.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you would have 30" for the lav, 30" for the toilet and 30" for the tub/shower.

They do make a shower pan with a drain on one end that replaces a 30" tub.

Andrew McIntyre

Reaction score
Normally you would have 30" for the lav, 30" for the toilet and 30" for the tub/shower.

They do make a shower pan with a drain on one end that replaces a 30" tub.
Okay, thanks but was hoping for guidance on where to bust open the concrete floor and how to attach to the existing drain and how to attach to the vent given the current conditions- I am hoping to tie the shower in where the existing toilet was and then I would need to add a new drain for the toilet- Just uncertain about all of this

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a bit hard to advise you on where to cut because there's no indication of how the existing drain line(s) beneath the slab are run, or where the existing vent line is currently.

While you can put the drain in the shower nearly anywhere, unless you're doing a linear drain, you generally want to place it in the center of the shower. As you move it away from center, that means, if you want to keep the bottom row all the same height, that the slope to the drain can become quite steep to the closer walls. While you don't have to keep the bottom row level, most people prefer the look unless you're doing a single slope with a linear drain at the end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks