Adding a second water main shutoff 10' away

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew Schrader

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to add a second main water shutoff valve about 10' away from the existing. It's a duplex so I'd like water shutoff access on both sides. So I want to cut in above the existing water shutoff valve, which is 3/4" copper. Run 10' of 3/4" PEX to an accessible location with a valve then run 10' of 3/4" PEX back to the water line that feeds the house.

Will this additional pressure drop be noticeable in my house fixtures? Or cause any other issues?

Thanks,
Andrew

Reach4

Reaction score
You want each unit to be able to shut off its own water, or you want either valve to shut off both units? Or yours shuts off both, and the new valve only shuts off the other unit?

I would think you might want two new valves -- one for each unit.

If you get full-flow ball valves, the valves themselves should not have noticable pressure drop. The new 3/4 pex elbows and tees can have an effect. Also, not all pex fittings are the same. The cheaper pex and fittings have more drop than the F1960 expansion fittings, but that needs PEX A pipe. In the type that uses crimps or clamps, plastic fittings have more drop than brass fittings.

If you have a tee, the straight path gets less drop for a given flow. Feed the neighbors from the side port.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have 3/4" copper but want to use PEX for the new work, then 1" PEX might be a better choice than 3/4" PEX. I think of PEX as being roughly 1/8" smaller when comparing it to copper in terms of its inner diameter and resistance to flow.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks