Adding A Platform under A Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

RoscoeP

Reaction score
I need to set a toilet on a raised platform for someone. I mentioned to them that they have premade platforms and raised seats, but their son is good at woodworking, so he will build one. I asked them to hold off on the build until
I got some information. I do not know a great deal about plumbing, but I have done enough to know I can handle it, as long as I can get some guidance. I imagine I will need to set a flange on top of the box. The plan is to have a box made of 2 by's with a plywood top. I have a few questions.
1) Will the flange need to fit flush with the top of the box?
2) What kind of connection will I need to connect to the bottom of the toilet and then down into the hole?
3)In the past, instead of a true wax seal I have used a rubber seal that seemed to work well. Is there a disadvantage to using that over wax?
4) I always have a bit of trouble placing the bowl over the anchor bolts. Is there a way to secure the bolts to make placing the bowl easier?
Thanks for any advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make a kit for raising a bowl. That would be better than a wood box.

index.php

index.php

If you make a wood box, you will need to extend the plumbing down to what you have in the floor. Perhaps something with an extension.

neorest-install-03.jpg

The flange can sit on top of the box, and screwed down. We secure closet bolts with washers and nuts. I always buy the sets that have four nuts and washers for that reason.

neorest-install-04.jpg

Or you could do the easy route and give them a bowl that is taller.

k-25224-tall-terrylove-01.jpg

RoscoeP

Reaction score
I just spoke with the son. He said he checked into the riser kit. Supposedly the water supply is located in a spot that won't allow for the riser kit when you place the kit properly over the hole.
If I am understanding correctly, that gasketed closet flange will push down into the hole in the floor and make a seal?
I am told that the box is going to be 3 inches tall. Is the flange you posted, or some other one, long enough for a 3 inch rise?
Thank you so much for the help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are several flanges like this that insert into an existing drain. I don't have one handy to measure, but it might work. There are also others I have seen that are glued in. Those may be longer, and can be cut to size.

Peterson

Reaction score
Just get a Kohler Highline Tall Toilet and be done with it. They work very well.

You risk running into all kinds of piping issues when trying to make a platform or box to put a toilet on.

I secure the flange bolts with a small washer and nut to the flange itself. That way, the bolts don't move around when trying to position the toilet.

I've had success with the no-wax rubber flange gaskets. I find them easier and it's nice to be able to adjust the toilet around on the floor before securing it down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks