Adding a New Light

Users who are viewing this thread

GoldMaple

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to add a new light and switch. The closest source of power is at another light. Attached is a diagram of the current setup and my proposed new wiring setup. I would like the two lights to work independently of each other. Can someone please confirm, or not, that the proposed diagram will work? Thank you.

Attachments

• WiringDiagramAddLight.png
    WiringDiagramAddLight.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 208

Reach4

Reaction score
The Proposed works. I don't know if it is OK to run a new black and white pair to the new switch, or whether you shooed get differently colored wires rather than marking a white on the new cable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd keep the black hot to the switch, and mark the white wire back from it with red to indicate it is switched.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'd keep the black hot to the switch, and mark the white wire back from it with red to indicate it is switched.
The rules call for keeping the marked white hot, when stuck with those two colors to a switch, and switching the black. That way the electrician can more easily tell that the switched wire is not a neutral.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks