Adding a light fixture to new circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny Daniels

Reaction score
I am running 12-2 Romex across the open unfinished attic space in order to wire two new receptacles in the kitchen. Since I am running the Romex thru the attic it will also give me an opportunity to install a new receptacle in the attic space as well. All of this will be on a new 20 amp circuit.

My question is this. Will code allow me to continue the run from the receptacle in the attic in order to provide power to a new light switch and new light fixture? Since there is not much on this circuit anyway, I figure this would be a prime opportunityto install a new ceiling light in the attic as well and place everything on the same circuit. Tks.

Stuff

Reaction score
Most circuits feeding kitchen receptacles would be one of the Small Applicance Branch Circuits which can't feed attic outlets.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
For lights only there is no problem. The code Stuff is referring to is the outlets at the kitchen counter(s). There must be two 20 amp circuits. With LED lighting, 14-2 would be all that is needed with a 15 amp breaker.

Stuff

Reaction score
Worth - Not only counters. Current code wants receptacles serving wall outlets in the kitchen, pantry, dining room, etc. also to be considered fed by a SABC and can't have lighting or other room's loads on them.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry I miss read the first post. I thought it was lights for the kitchen. Stuff is right that the new 12-2 20 amp circuit can only be used at the kitchen counter.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the OP's premises was built before the kitchen 20A small appliance branch circuits, and the restrictions placed on them, were required, then
any new circuits added later would probably not be subject to those rules. What the OP wants to do was formerly commonplace, and entirely
acceptable. But of course the local authorities can, and do, make up their own rules, and the OP should enquire of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks