Adding a laundry sink plus fixing washer pipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Garc1809

Reaction score
Question I have a slight problem. I added a laundry in the basement and connect to upstairs kitchen/dishwasher drain. While I did that in a hurry I want to permanently fix a issue I have is which laundry standpipe keep overflowing and at the same time add a laundry sink that wife want. I’m attaching a pic off my current setup. What would be the best option for me to fix this issue. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Attachments

• IMG_3803.PNG
    IMG_3803.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 124

Garc1809

Reaction score
after searching multiple days this is the only thing I came upon that might work but I'm not too sure. I have attach a pic

Attachments

• IMG_3767 2.PNG
    IMG_3767 2.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 118

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks good if that side port is a cleanout. However you could unscrew the AAV and use that hole as the cleanout. The AAV does not have to be that high, but it does need to be accessible in case it needs changing. They sell wall boxes with louvered grills, or you can leave it open.

If that is a laundry sink into the side port, it may or may not be fine as you have it. I am not sure. There is a variation where you feed the laundry drain, with no added trap, into the standpipe above the trap.

Garc1809

Reaction score
Looks good if that side port is a cleanout. However you could unscrew the AAV and use that hole as the cleanout. The AAV does not have to be that high, but it does need to be accessible in case it needs changing. They sell wall boxes with louvered grills, or you can leave it open.

If that is a laundry sink into the side port, it may or may not be fine as you have it. I am not sure. There is a variation where you feed the laundry drain, with no added trap, into the standpipe above the trap.
What would I like to do is tap on the 2”drain from upstairs kitchen. So I can connect a laundry sink so why can use it. and on the right side have a p trap with standpipe. I’m not sure if it’s possible with Aav.

Attachments

• 39CD4CA8-4848-4BA6-B80D-9DA902420046.jpeg
    39CD4CA8-4848-4BA6-B80D-9DA902420046.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 114

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both your laundry sink and standpipe drains need to be vented before they join the kitchen sink drain from upstairs. I.e. just one drain connection to the stack, for the combined sink and standpipe branch. The two fixtures could share one vent, in a variety of configurations. Or as Reach4 mentioned, there is a variation with the standpipe and the sink sharing a single trap.

As to your standpipe overflowing, is that only when the washer runs, or sometimes from just the kitchen sink? Either could be caused by a blockage downstream; it's only when the washer runs, it might be due to the lack of venting in your current configuration, not sure if that's possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Garc1809

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes only when I run the washer so it’s lacking a vent. I’m not sure what the best option for me in this situation.

Reach4

Reaction score

Garc1809

Reaction score
you think this will work before I make the last connection? where the aaa is at that where I'm going to connect laundry sink.

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 107

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Besides it being plumbed wrong youve got a stoppage. nothing to do with vent when you run W/M and dont use sink above it should drain perfect adding vent wont make a bit of differance in the stoppage. adding the aav will work after you fix the stoppage issue

Garc1809

Reaction score
Besides it being plumbed wrong youve got a stoppage. nothing to do with vent when you run W/M and dont use sink above it should drain perfect adding vent wont make a bit of differance in the stoppage. adding the aav will work after you fix the stoppage issue
Okay I mooing to snake that drain to see if there any blockage. Another thing Can you guide me more into which fittings are correct and which are incorrect so I can fix it before I glue everything up. Th aka for helping me out.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The mockup looked OK to me if you change that medium bend to a long sweep bend, but there could be a question about whether the 2 inch pipe at the bottom is OK to carry both the standpipe and kitchen drainage.

Garc1809

Reaction score
The mockup looked OK to me if you change that medium bend to a long sweep bend, but there could be a question about whether the 2 inch pipe at the bottom is OK to carry both the standpipe and kitchen drainage.
That what’s we have to find out. At the moment we try to see if there was a blockage and it looks like half way thru it’s stopping and not even getting close to where the house trap is. I have scheduled a Plummer to come and snake drain the line and most likely video the whole pipping to me sure nothing mayor is happening with the pipes. Thanks again

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good your on track with clearing the stoppage.
I'll describe how I would plumb this as I can't draw on here at the bottom of pipe near floor my first fitting is a wye pointed to right of the wye branch put a 45 ( you will now have 2 vertical pipes ) the left side will have a clean out on top and do whatever it needs above going straight up to next floor ?. Now back to the right side a short piece and 2 inch santee pointed to right to trap for wash machine on top of the 2 inch santee a 2 x1 1/2 x1 1/2 santee pointed where you wish for laundry sink run vent up off top of the santee either AAV or up to another vent . This works perfect not sure it meets your code

Garc1809

Reaction score
Good your on track with clearing the stoppage.
I'll describe how I would plumb this as I can't draw on here at the bottom of pipe near floor my first fitting is a wye pointed to right of the wye branch put a 45 ( you will now have 2 vertical pipes ) the left side will have a clean out on top and do whatever it needs above going straight up to next floor ?. Now back to the right side a short piece and 2 inch santee pointed to right to trap for wash machine on top of the 2 inch santee a 2 x1 1/2 x1 1/2 santee pointed where you wish for laundry sink run vent up off top of the santee either AAV or up to another vent . This works perfect not sure it meets your code
okay first the plumbing company snake the drain to house trap and nothing was found. we try to video record the drain but got caught 5 feet into the pipe what we notice was like a small dip on the pipes which I guess it can happen with cast iron pipes (1964 house). for the information you gave me this was I intrepid. now myPA local city adapted to IPC and I'm allowed to use AAV. now I'm not sure if this is important but after the wye cleanup it does to first story kitchen drain. let me know if this works out thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3963.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id Run with it thats what I was talking about santee for landry sink will be low enough ?
ok run your washer down the drain and proove its clear as a test . so you got a full bore drain or you dont? could have a build up and you just have a 3/4 inch hole going through sludge but You ran the camera , if the pipe is clear it will flow if it isnt youll be backing up again. otherwise just gotta put it together

Garc1809

Reaction score
thanks guys for the help. Lesson learn and moral of the story is that once we video inspect the pipe we found sludge and grease about 15 feet going to the house trap. They coming Monday early in the morning to hydro wash the pipe and inspect the pipes after they are done. Once they done with all of that then I be redoing the pipes again. But not sure if the two inch line can handle the sink and laundry. So I might have to skip on washer standpipe and just do only a laundry sink. And drain there. Thanks again for the help

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep I figured it was all gunked up nothing to do with venting but thats important too.
Sure 2 inch will handle it fine , not sure it meets your code but with pipe in good order it shouldnt cause any problem

Garc1809

Reaction score
Thanks guy we finally figure out what was the cause. After hydro washing the pipes we found collapse pipe. It’s all destroy now the plan is to open up the concrete and replace pipes Or cap the pipe and reroute the pipe to the 4 inch main.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks