Adding a Drain for Utility Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

looking

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to add a drain for a utility sink to the existing setup shown in the picture. Some notes regarding the picture.
1. That's the main stack is in the left.
2. The current washer drain/vent along the back wall is 30" off the floor.
3. The center of the cleanout on the stack is 14" off the floor
4. The exposed straight pipe under the cleanout is 1 1/2"
5. The exposed straight pipe above the cleanout is 2"
6. I'm looking at putting in a double bowl utility sink that needs the drain about 12"
7. I don't want the washer draining into the sink.

I'm having problems visualizing the solution and not sure if I'll be able to get the new connection to the stack low enough for the sink.

Thanks for the assistance.

Laundry Room.jpg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Your going to have to start over from the 45 degree fitting on up. If you use a fitting something like this, when you cut the old clean-out
off it will drop the center of the new clean-out to 12". think hard before you cut anything. this is just an idea.

Attachments

• 102108a_l.jpg
    102108a_l.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 149

looking

Reaction score
Thank you "Old Timer". I thought you had to connect a drain line to the stack with a Wye and not a Tee. Am I incorrect?

If a Wye isn't required, I found two different types of Tee's with a right inlet. What's the difference between with one with the slope vs what looks like a straight connection? Could both be used with a cleanout adapter.

Lastly any issue with using a Tee that also has a left inlet and inserting a plug or cleanout in that unused inlet, as this fitting looks to be easier to get then one with just a right inlet?

Sloped.png Straight.png

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
If I'm understanding your notes correctly, your stating that the drain on your washer is 1-1/2". its supposed to be 2".
As far as using the santee with the side outlet, you must use the one with the "SLOPED OUTLET FOR DRAINS" and "STRAIGHT OUTLET FOR VENTS" USE THE SLOPED OUTLET FITTING.
One good thing about this site is you'll get a lot of ideas from other people so hang tight.

Attachments

• 41-8zxEC6BL._SX342_.jpg
    41-8zxEC6BL._SX342_.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Use a santee to re-plumb your washer drain.

Attachments

• white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc004011200hd-64_1000.jpg
    white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc004011200hd-64_1000.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 111

looking

Reaction score
Thanks "Old Timer". I just checked the Massachusetts plumbing code and a residential clothes washer minimum size is still 1-1/2 inches

looking

Reaction score
So below is from the Massachusetts plumbing code for change in direction and cleanouts. If I read this correctly
1. I cannot use a sanitary tee to join the new drain to the stack but really need to use a Wye.
2. The cleanout needs to be at the bottom of the stack.

I'm not aware of a Wye with an integral cleanout, so I'm not sure if there's anyway to add a new drain to the stack for a sink. Any ideas? Maybe I'm interpreting the code incorrectly . . .

Change in Direction.png
Cleanout.png
b

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
The MASS. code does in fact say 1-1/2" for a cloth's washer. it's 2" in a lot of parts of the country.
Reread the paragraph, "CHANGES IN DIRECTION OF PIPING". 2. "Quarter bends, or their equivalent may be used in soil
and waste lines when the change in the direction of flow is from HORIZONTAL TO VERTICAL. the key words
are HORIZONTAL TO VERTICAL which is what your doing and a SAN TEE AND SIDE INLET QUARTER BEND is an equivalent to a QUARTER BEND. This paragraph is the same in every plumbing code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks