Adding 1/2 bath to cast iron stack (rough in question)

Users who are viewing this thread

Darrell Woolaver

Reaction score
Hi all, 93 year old 2 story house presumably with with original cast iron stack. I have lived in house 17+ years with no major issues.
The sewer pipe unfortunately exits the basement through the foundation about 2 feet off the floor instead of into the floor.

We would like to add a 1/2 bath either on 1st floor in an existing pantry room behind the kitchen (which does not currently have plumbing nor is there any plumbing in shared wall) or another thought is to add 1/2 bath in the basement using an upflush toilet like a Saniflo.

I have an open wall cavity I can run new vent pipe up into attic and tie into vent line/stack but I don't know the feasibly of tying into the sewer line for the new toilet drain. I don't want to get into replacing the stack. Based on pictures below can anyone recommend best method to tie into sewer line? I will be able to move washer/dryer and also remove the wall sheathing behind and shelf above for better access. If we can realistically do this at all I'm leaning toward the upflush unit option which I believe uses a 3/4" or 1" drain pipe instead of 3" or 4" standard toilet pipe. I do plan on pulling proper permits. The area in basement where 1/2 bath would go has little over 7' tall ceiling and a block window with an opening 1.5 sq/ft for ventilation which seems to be code requirements for the space (in addition to all the other plumbing/electrical stuff of course)

Side note: You will notice the bucket under the washer stand pipe that is overflowing from time to time which I also need to investigate. Not sure if there is partial blockage or if the stand pipe is not tall enough. It takes several months for the bucket to fill up.

Attachments

• IMG_7638.JPEG
    IMG_7638.JPEG
    71 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7643.JPEG
    IMG_7643.JPEG
    63 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7645.JPEG
    IMG_7645.JPEG
    56.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7647.JPEG
    IMG_7647.JPEG
    52 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7648.JPEG
    IMG_7648.JPEG
    83.6 KB · Views: 140

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
How about removing the clean out and installing a combination wye and 1/8 bend and installing a new CO on the run of the wye

This way it discharges by gravity rather then relying on a pump

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks