• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score
No knowledge or experience with a water well....We just bought a house with 15 yr old well that had a 15 yr old Rainsoft system. The Rainsoft has not been maintained so we removed it. Our water has zero hardness and the iron was 1.5 ppm so we added a chlorinator, contact tank & an in-line Micron carbon filter. My problem is the filter is completely covered in iron after a day, what am I doing wrong?

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a high level of iron. Most of it was dissolved iron until you added chlorine which causes it to oxidize. Dissolved iron is best removed by a water softener. If you choose to oxidize the iron as a method of removal you need a filter capable of handling larger amounts of physical particles. A carbon filter is not meant to handle large amounts of particles so plugs up quickly.

There is a separate water softening/treatment forum which may be able to better assist you.

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score
You have a high level of iron. Most of it was dissolved iron until you added chlorine which causes it to oxidize. Dissolved iron is best removed by a water softener. If you choose to oxidize the iron as a method of removal you need a filter capable of handling larger amounts of physical particles. A carbon filter is not meant to handle large amounts of particles so plugs up quickly.

There is a separate water softening/treatment forum which may be able to better assist you.
I thought 1.5 was a low iron level?

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score

I have zero hardness so there is no softener only chlorinator to help remove the iron.

Reach4

Reaction score
No it’s 4.24 x 9.75

Typically where you are trying to remove chlorine after injecting it for rust etc removal, you would use a backwashing carbon filter. This might be 54x10 or even bigger.

Does your contact tank have a blowdown port? Maybe you need to blow out the sediment more frequently.

Edit: what is your contact tank (make and model)?

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have zero hardness so there is no softener only chlorinator to help remove the iron.
Chlorine doesn't remove iron, it oxidizes it. Once it's oxidized it still needs to be physically filtered. So if you are going to use chlorine you also need a filter with the capacity to filter the iron, a carbon filter doesn't have enough capacity.

A water softener in addition to softening water also removes dissolved iron, hardness in my area is usually very low but softners are still used extensively to remove iron.

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score
Typically where you are trying to remove chlorine after injecting it for rust etc removal, you would use a backwashing carbon filter. This might be 54x10 or even bigger.

Does your contact tank have a blowdown port? Maybe you need to blow out the sediment more frequently.

Yes we flush the tank

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score

So do we need a another filter or bigger filter?

Reach4

Reaction score
So do we need a another filter or bigger filter?

For the sediment that is clearly not all settling out inside the contact tank, you would want a bigger filter. A pleated 4.5 x 20 maybe 5 micron in a Pentair Big Blue housing might be good. I think you will want to remove chlorine too. Is the existing filter big enough for that? I have my doubts. Is that carbon filter a block filter? Those have a lot of backpressure.

Keep a spare o-ring for your filters. If an o-ring won't go back in, your water system would be down without a spare o-ring.

You shoud get some low-range free chorine paper so that you can measure the residual chlorine.

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score
For the sediment that is clearly not all settling out inside the contact tank, you would want a bigger filter. A pleated 4.5 x 20 maybe 5 micron in a Pentair Big Blue housing might be good. I think you will want to remove chlorine too. Is the existing filter big enough for that? I have my doubts. Is that carbon filter a block filter? Those have a lot of backpressure.

Keep a spare o-ring for your filters. If an o-ring won't go back in, your water system would be down without a spare o-ring.

You shoud get some low-range free chorine paper so that you can measure the residual chlorine.
I have 4.5x10 to remove the chlorine but it is filling up with iron

MichaelSK

Reaction score
Lee Ann, I agree with Reach4, consider installing a suitably sized backwashing activated carbon filter. This AC filter would remove the chlorine and precipitated oxidized iron. Unlike ThirdGenPump, I would not recommend a water softener with a strong acid cation resin to remove any form of iron - there are better solutions - more targeted solutions.

Lee Ann Henneke

Reaction score
Lee Ann, I agree with Reach4, consider installing a suitably sized backwashing activated carbon filter. This AC filter would remove the chlorine and precipitated oxidized iron. Unlike ThirdGenPump, I would not recommend a water softener with a strong acid cation resin to remove any form of iron - there are better solutions - more targeted solutions.
Yes I believe that may be the best solution at this point thank you for the input

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks