Add Softener Drain to Drain Stack

Users who are viewing this thread

SRPomeroy

Reaction score
I need to add some water treatment to my house (water softener/iron filter) and the only good place for the equipment is in the basement.

I have a septic system and the waste stack exits out of the basement to the septic about 2 feet above the finished floor.

There is a clean-out just above the exit, then the stack continues vertically another 5 feet to the floor joists where it transitions to horizontal.

There is no floor drain to direct the softener drain to.

From what I understand reading through similar threads, and the NJ plumbing code, I should be able to add in a 3x3x2 sanitary tee followed by an AAV, trap, standpipe, and appropriate air gap. I would add it between the ell at the ceiling and the two 45s before the cleanout. There is enough room to cut out a section of the stack, lift it up, and place the new tee.

I think I could also use a threaded adapter on the existing clean-out and build out the standpipe as long as I kept a clean-out. Though option 1 is likely the better approach.

Is my thinking accurate? Or am I missing something?

I do understand this would now be the lowest drain in the system, unfortunately, I don't see any good alternatives. The laundry room is two floors up.

I could potentially add a drain to the horizontal part of the main stack, but I would only have roughly 10" of space for the trap, vent, standpipe, and airgap in the joist space. Which wouldn't allow the minimum of 18" for the standpipe.

Attachments

• IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 149

Reach4

Reaction score
Is my thinking accurate? Or am I missing something?
I think you have covered it nicely. You may want to support the standpipe with a clamp in case the drain line gets tugged.

I think 1.5 inch PVC would be good for the standpipe. They sell air gaps that will fit into 1.5 inch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks