Add-on bathroom rough plumbing remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

danfman

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my 1st floor bathroom and looking for advice on the rough plumbing. There use to be a toilet at left rear of the room, and a shower in the right center. I'd like to place the new toilet where the shower previously was, and in the left rear corner we'd like to add a sink. My biggest question is about the new toilet's return line. I only have access to the joist the current return line is in and the two to the right (stairs are in the way of the joists furthest to the right). I worry about the integrity of the floor joists if I cut a hole that large through boards.

FYI this bathroom is a former back porch, so underneath the joists are about 3' gap before the outside ground.

Any suggestions to relieve this problem? Any other issues anyone thinks I'm missing?

Attachments

• IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 208

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can take up to a third of a joist, leaving 2" on the bottom and 2" on the top. No notching.
The line that vents the toilet now would server as a wet vent if you install a lav there. The wet vent portion of the lav is 2" and of course the venting is 2" for the toilet. If you have 2x10 joists there it may be doable. Or if you are three feet off the ground, you can always add support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks