Add booster pump to existing system

Users who are viewing this thread

Getoffmylawn

Reaction score
I have a 400' well pumping to a couple of 30 gal pressure tanks. I have bought an Enduroplast 1125 storage tank. I want to pump the well water into the storage tank. I then want to add a booster pump before the pressure tanks, then into the single story house. I would like a small pump that could run on a small generator in case of power failures. Pumps seem to run either in the 100 dollar range or the 600 and above dollar range. I don't know why. Right now I get about 10 gpm and 55 psi. I would like to get the same from the booster pump and I need recommendations as I can install components pretty well, but I don't want to install the wrong stuff like usual. I see that I would need a float switch to turn on and off the deep well pump, and I guess I can use the same pressure switch components I already have on the booster pump side. Any recommendations for float switches and booster pumps? The tank is only a little over 5' tall, and about 7' diameter. And what else have I missed??
The well is currently functioning fine. I am going to add the storage tank to reduce wear on deep well pump, allow sediments to drop out, reduce any smell that sometimes shows up, and not have to have my welding rig used to fire up the deep well often if outages last a while.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 3/4HP jet pump or a 1/2HP. 10 GPM submersible will do it. Either of those should start with a small generator. Just adding a Cycle Stop Valve to the existing well pump would take away all wear from cycling on and off, which is what kills pumps. The CSV might also help with sediment as eliminating cycling also keeps the well from surging up and down. Would still probably be best to pump out the sediment if possible. The CSV would do nothing to help with the smell, but there are other ways to handle that. I normally do not like the expense and hassles of a storage tank and booster pump if the well will produce sufficient flow to supply the house. But this is a standard set up for low producing wells.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Last edited:

Getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. Obviously, I'm new at this. I already paid for a storage tank, (actually 3 of them as I have 3 wells on my property for the kids' houses) so I'm going to go that direction. I never thought of an in-tank pump. Would that be a better idea that an external booster pump? Do either have a slow start that doesn't draw a lot of amps? I plan on using my two pressure tanks which have all the original pressure switch components. I guess that takes the place of the tank shown in the diagram. Any recommendations on the brand of pumps? Again, thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah any 10 GPM, 1/2HP submersible well pump will work. 4 wire with a control box in 230 volt is best. But you can do 115 volt the same way if needed. The very least starting amps would mean spending the bucks for a 10SQ05 Grundfos. But that is usually not needed.

Getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Thanks again! It seems like I can use another submersible pump inside my storage tank and hook it up to the pressure switch like it was on the deep well. I would just need to add a float switch in the storage tank to cycle the deep pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks again! It seems like I can use another submersible pump inside my storage tank and hook it up to the pressure switch like it was on the deep well. I would just need to add a float switch in the storage tank to cycle the deep pump.
Yes you can see all that in the drawing. A well pump will pump more water from a cistern because it is not deep like a well. So you will probably need an additional pressure tank or two if not adding a Cycle Stop Valve to keep the pump from short cycling.

Getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Thanks again. I may not mess this up, thanks to your knowledge and time. Have a great day!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks