Add-A-Shower Diverter Spout to fit 4" Nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sabatnoogen

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I'm stepping on any toes by starting a new thread, but I was searching around, and this seems like the best venue to ask my question.

I just moved into a new apartment, and my bathroom has a bathtub, but no shower. Since it's an apartment, I don't want to rip up the walls and add a new shower, so I'm looking to pull off the old 5" spout, and replace it with a diverter with an external shower output.

This shouldn't be an issue, but for the fact that the nipple extends 4" from the wall. The current 5" spout has a 4" (1/2" FIP) inset to receive the nipple, but I can't find a diverter spout with the same inset. The best I can do is 3 1/4".

The way I see it, I have one of three options:
1) Look around for a diverter spout with a 4" inset (which I've tried and can't find)
2) Replace the nipple with a shorter nipple (which I'm not sure how to do, since it extends behind the wall, and I've got maybe a 1" hole around the nipple to work with. For all I know, it's soldered in)
3) Find some sort of shielding to extend the 3/4" from the rear-end of the spout to the wall, covering the nipple.

Do y'all have any suggestions on what I should do? I'm pretty sure I can't be the first person to ever have this problem, but you never know.

Thanks so much in advance, all!
Sav

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You certaintly are not the first, but you better check with the landlord first.

If I were the owner of the building I wouldn't want my tenant to put a shower in without my knowing. You rented the apt. with no shower. You will just create a problem because it wasn't built with with showering in mind.

Sabatnoogen

Reaction score
my bad

I should have clarified.

I meant, once I have my landlord's approval, what's the least intrusive way to have it installed?

Sabatnoogen

Reaction score
cool

so i've received my landlord's approval, and i've temporarily installed the 3 1/4" diverter spout, but i still have a 3/4" offset at the back where the pipe is exposed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sav

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The universal solution...

...duct tape. How nice do you want it to look, how long are you planning to live there, and do you want to replace the original spout when you leave?

showroom

Reaction score
Is there any reason you can't saw off the nipple? As long as you are careful not to mess up the threads....

Sabatnoogen

Reaction score
Mikey said:
...duct tape. How nice do you want it to look, how long are you planning to live there, and do you want to replace the original spout when you leave?

living there for a year probably, don't really care about looks, and i want to re-install the original spout when i leave.

saw off the nipple from the outside? or remove it and replace it? can i remove it without back panel access? i'm less concerned about removing the nipple, and i'm more concerned with installing a new nipple. if i can't get access to behind the wall, how do i know the nipple is threaded correctly and won't leak?

thanks for your help everyone,
Sav

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
In that case, as I said... duct tape. Use it to cover up the gap behind the replacement spout, then remove the tape and put the old spout back when you leave.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

showroom said:
Is there any reason you can't saw off the nipple? As long as you are careful not to mess up the threads....
Once it is sawed off, there won't be any threads to mess up. But to answer the original question, a deep wall flange for a 1 1/4" "P" trap can be cut off so it fits between the spout and the wall.

Sabatnoogen

Reaction score
perfect

great. thanks for the suggestions guys, but i think i'm going to try and get a flange cut down a bit.

Sav

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks