Add a second pump inline for a long run up 10 meters

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm in Mexico and have a well that is about 22 meters deep. It`s just a 4 inch PVC pipe in the ground and I have a 1 hp pump above ground and get good pressure . I'm trying to pump water up to my storage tank about 10 meters up and about 20 metres away from the pump. the outlet hose is probably 1" id and the hose going up about 3/4 id it will pump up for a few minutes and then stop. the line going into the well is probably an inch and a half hose and I hit water about 5 meters down the hose is about 12 meters long. I tried using a 1/2 " hose going up to increase the pressure but stops pumping after 5 minutes or so and the pressure is minimal. I have another 1 HP pump I could connect at the up point, would that work? I also thought 1/2 inch PVC up might increase the pressure up. Any ideas? Thanks for any help

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a 1 hp pump above ground and get good pressure
Obviously not. On a 10 meter rise you should only lose around 14 PSI not counting friction loss.

I don't understand by what logic you think smaller pipe would give you more pressure. It is the opposite. YOu need bigger pipe to have less friction loss.

Why mess around with above ground pumps? Put a submersible in the well and get *real* good pressure.

Bannerman

Reaction score
the line going into the well is probably an inch and a half hose and I hit water about 5 meters down the hose is about 12 meters long.
If it is a single pipe coming from the well to the pump, water can only be drawn up vertically about 7.3 metres (24') through a single line. Although the well's static water level maybe 5 metres below the surface initially, the level likely drops to 7.3+ metres within a few minutes after the pump is running so the pump can no longer draw it up.

You will probably need either a deep well (2 pipes) jet pump or a submersible pump. As LL suggested, a submersible would be the best choice.

Reaction score
i thought about a submersible but i don`t use the pump that much. so if i am running a hose along the ground for 20 meters then up a wall 10 meters i should use a wider hose? if there is any kind of air intake leak on the inlet would that cut down water pressure?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As I said, using a smaller hose does not give you more pressure but then using a larger hose does not magically create pressure that does not exist at the pump. There is .43 PSI per foot of rise needed so you need more than 14 PSI at the pump for it to be able to push to that height. Solve why you cannot build more than 14 PSI. If your pump is lifting from maximum depth, you will exhaust the total head. Either convert the existing pump for deep well or get a submersible.

Reach4

Reaction score
if there is any kind of air intake leak on the inlet would that cut down water pressure?
Yes; a tiny one. A bigger one would cause the pump to not pump at all.
It`s just a 4 inch PVC pipe in the ground and I have a 1 hp pump above ground and get good pressure .
Do you have a pressure gauge there, or do you mean there is good flow volume?

Expect 10 meters lift alone to reduce pressure by 14.223 Pounds per square inch. If you are actually rising 14 meters, that would be a 20 psi drop due to the lift.

A clogged jet could limit the output pressure of a jet pump to about 20 psi. So if you can only build 20 or so psi at the pump, consider that.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since water flow is stopping a few minutes after the pump begins to operate, I then suspect the water level in the well has dropped lower than where it can be lifted. Regardless of the pump HP or the diameter of the pipes, water cannot be sucked up vertically more than 24'.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
a well that is about 22 meters deep.
I have a 1 hp pump above ground
the line going into the well is probably an inch and a half hose and I hit water about 5 meters down the hose is about 12 meters long.
Seems to be a single pipe between well and the above-ground pump = shallow well pump setup.
stops pumping after 5 minutes or so

I suspect the water level is dropping from 5 M to 7.3 M within that 5 minutes so the pump then can no longer lift until the well is given sufficient opportunity to recover.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks