Adapting deck-mount tub faucet to wall-mount

Users who are viewing this thread

adrury

Reaction score
I’d like to install the faucets and faucet valves from a deck-mount roman tub faucet, in a wall-mount configuration, and pair them with a wall mounted spout. I welcome any problems people identify with the proposed solution, and I have some questions at the end.

First, why am I considering a crazy mish-mash thing like this? I like the handle style of a Danze roman tub faucet trim, but would prefer to have faucets and spout wall-mounted mounted for style reasons and because I don’t think I have room for a deck at the end or side of the tub (alcove installation, integral apron).

I’d use the faucets from the roman tub faucet trim, and the faucet valves from the Danze valve that pairs with the trim, the D215000BT (picture below, and at http://www.danze.com/widespread-roman-tub-faucet-rough-in-valve-and-spout-tube-with-diverter-for-personal-shower/d215000/).
I’d plan to discard the deck-mount spout, and use a separate wall-mount tub spout with standard ½†slip fit connection. If there’s an easy way to adapt the spout valve output to connect to the ½†slip fit spout, that would be great, but I assume there isn’t, so I would plan to discard the spout valve also and implement its function out of discrete pieces (anti-scald valve to provide protection on the hot side, any necessary check valves). I won’t be adding a (hand-held) shower, so there’s no diverter anywhere.

I assumed I could set some ¾†plywood (or even a 2x4) aligned with the face of the studs to make a vertical “deck†through which the valves would be installed.

The part I’m unsure about is how to fit the piping to the valves in a 2x6 (or maybe 2x4?) wall. The wall is being built as part of a remodel, so there's flexibility in the stud size, but I'd like to avoid a 2x10 wall just to fit valves in sideways... There’s about 7†of the valve assembly that would be below the deck in a deck-mount installation, of which I estimate roughly 3.5†is the valve body, and about 3.5†is pipes attached to the valves (I haven’t bought any of the parts - this is based on Danze’s valve spec sheet). I would need to turn the pipes feeding the handle valves at right angles to the valves so they would fit in a wall cavity, and feed the valves in their new orientation, sticking out of the wall instead of a deck. What’s the best way to do that - bend the pipes attached to the valve body? Cut off what’s there and solder on 90 degree elbows? One pipe attached to the handle valve looks like copper, which I assume could be bent carefully, but one pipe doesn’t look like copper (is it brass?) - how would it bend? Is there a possible solution to get a 90 degree turn in there with minimum depth? Is there an easy solution to get a 90 degree turn in there?

Of course, there are other options, like finding a wall-mount tub faucet/spout in a style I like, or trying to create a deck to mount it on. I could have a niche and mount the faucets/valves in their intended vertical orientation in the bottom of the niche (and deal with leaks too?). But where’s the fun in that! I know doing something like this makes maintenance or replacement a chore, but there will be easy access to the wall behind the valve if access is needed in the future.

Attachments

• D215000BT.jpg
    D215000BT.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,003

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To put it bluntly, It is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. That valve is NOT designed, nor will it fit properly in a wall. One reason being that there is nothing to secure it to. Buy a Danze wall mount faucet with the handles you like and as a bonus you get the proper spout in the right color. They do NOT make wall spouts to fit that connection, although that is the least of your problems with it, since you would not need to use that center portion.

Last edited:

overlandsea

Reaction score
To put it bluntly, It is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. That valve is NOT designed, nor will it fit properly in a wall. One reason being that there is nothing to secure it to. Buy a Danze wall mount faucet with the handles you like and as a bonus you get the proper spout in the right color. They do NOT make wall spouts to fit that connection, although that is the least of your problems with it, since you would not need to use that center portion.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I was curious about doing something similar, and this was the closest I could find to anything about it online. Could you explain a little more why this wouldn't work?

I could fit it in a wall because the wall opens into an under stairs area. And I'm thinking secure it to a brace between two studs.

Could you clarify why the valve design is different? To me it seems like this is basically the same idea as the older two valve shower or three valve shower/bath designs. Is there something different about these valves?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guess you can jackknife carpenter and hack plumb anyway you want to, it's your house and it will be your POS to live with. HJ is probably the most experienced and knowledgeable member of this forum, and if he says it's a dumb idea, take that to the bank.

overlandsea

Reaction score
Guess you can jackknife carpenter and hack plumb anyway you want to, it's your house and it will be your POS to live with. HJ is probably the most experienced and knowledgeable member of this forum, and if he says it's a dumb idea, take that to the bank.

Thanks Troll.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer a real explanation still though.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They ARE different, because they have been modified so that you can install the valve bodies, and spout, individually, anywhere on the tub deck connecting them together with copper tubing. They also have to "clamp" to the tub or deck to maintain rigidity. It is a "dumb idea" because there is no reason to use those long deck mount valves when all you are interested in is the look of the handles, unless you intend to have some unusual arrangement of the three pieces. The spout that comes with a the deck mount valve would be useless also as is its "mounting" casting. Buy a wall mount valve, which has everything integrated into a single compact casting which fits into a standard wall. Order it with the handles you like, they are interchangeable between valve styles and install them on the valve along with the matching wall spout. Just be sure to get a spout long enough to reach past the rim of the tub.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks