Actual minimum clearance on a 12" rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

daniel501

Reaction score
Thanks for the help in choosing to put standard height Eco Drakes in my new house.

So I was eyeballing the powder room toilet site, and it seemed a little close to the wall. And I measured it and it's actually almost exactly 10" from the center of the hole to the finished wall surface.

Of course my chosen standard height Eco Drake has a 12" rough in, and doesn't appear to come in a 10" rough in version.

So what's the actual minimum clearance for a 12" "rough in"?

Curious now, I went throughout the rest of the house and measured. The other sites vary but appear to have 11 to 11.5 inches of clearance from the hole center to the finished wall surface. Will the 12" rough in Eco Drake even fit in these sites?

Reading about offset flanges, it sounds like they're a "last resort" and I should use a toilet with 10" rough in rather than an offset flange. Is that accurate?

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the game? Easy answer is to go to a 10 inch offset AS Cadet 3. In Toto, you can go to
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst412mf.10.pdf
or a Vespin II with a 10 inch Unifit adapter.

I don't have an answer for your title question. Putting in an offset flange that gives you maybe extra 1.5 inches to fit a CST744EGN is going to be a fair amount of work (depending on your construction). So think about your objectives here: are you looking for least cost with a very good flush, or what?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your measurement is correct, you have a 10" rough in and there is no regular 12" toilet going to fit. There are limited 10" toilets available, so either find one that will be satisfactory, or go the Toto's Unifit Adaptar and choose from their models that will look best to you.

daniel501

Reaction score
If your measurement is correct, you have a 10" rough in and there is no regular 12" toilet going to fit. There are limited 10" toilets available, so either find one that will be satisfactory, or go the Toto's Unifit Adaptar and choose from their models that will look best to you.

Thanks! Ok, so the powder room gets a 10" toilet.

What about the other sites that measured from 11" to 11.5"? Will a CST744EGN fit without an offset flange? There has to be some wiggle room, right? How much?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 10" Drake would be the CST744EF.10 or CST744SF.10 with either the E, S or EN tank.
The bowl is 1.5" taller than what you have now.

The CST744EGN would fit in your other locations.

daniel501

Reaction score
Putting a 10" Eco Drake Transitional, universal height, CST744EFN.10, in the powder room with the 10" rough in. There's some logic to that one being universal height, since it's sort of the "public" bathroom of the house.

I ran with that thought process and decided to put a CST744ELN, Eco Drake Transitional, 12", ADA height (not available in "universal height?" that's weird, but they're pretty much the same right?), in the bathroom of the guestroom/office, since it's possible we might have elderly guests.

And of course, the original CST744EGN I wanted, Eco Drake Transitional, 12", regular height, in the remaining bathrooms (master, and kids bathrooms).

I'm glad I was able to use the new Drake "Transitional" tank in all 3 sites, since I like that look.

Thanks! This forum has been very helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks