Acrylic Tub - Wooden Base

Users who are viewing this thread

mehlhorn

Reaction score
Hello All,

I pulled out a galvanized tub and am replacing it with a new acrylic tub with a wooden base. The old tub was basically sitting in place with a few washers holding it to the vertical studs (behind the old shower kit).

Does the new tub just sit there also? I notice that this tub it considerably lighter than the original and may effect installation. Also, I am not comfortable screwing the new washers in to the studs to hold the tub in place for fear of damaging the new, more fragile acrylic tub.

Any thoughts?

Mike

mehlhorn

Reaction score
I forgot to ask if it is recommended that I screw it into the floor throught the wooden base. I am worried it the tub shifts it will ruin the tile.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many people set the tub in a mortar bed that supports it to prevent stress cracks and make it feel more substantial. Then, a large head nail or two (or maybe a screw with a large washer) lapping over the edge to help anchor it until you get the tile in. There are ledger boards underneath the rim to provide support if someone were to sit on the edge. Depending on the size of the tile and the height of the tiling flange of the tub, some people notch the studs so that the lip is in line with the studs. Then, you can overlap the cement board down to about 1/4" of the horizontal tub surface, which locks the edges in and not have the bottom of the cbu bow out. If the tile will be supported at least half, then you can stop the cbu at the lip and not worry about the overlap. Put a vapor barrier behind the cbu and run it down over the tiling flange. Cut it off after you put up the cbu. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with the tiling. Make sure that the tub sits level...the mortar underneath gives you the opportunity to adjust it so it is level in addition to supporting it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the wood base sits on the floor and levels the tub, that is usually all that is necessary. Once everything is in place and the tile and walls are installed, the tub should not be able to move in any direction. BUT, if the tub is "fragile", then why would you want to install it in the first place?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks