Acrylic Shower Pan Ever Silent?

Users who are viewing this thread

RapaNui

Reaction score
Hi all,

I last week I installed my shower pan (Dreamline Slimline 30" x 60") in a bed of Quickcrete Mortar following manufacturers instructions. I placed down tar paper on the plywood flooring and used the entire 60 lb bag, spreading it evenly across where the base of the pan would be set.

I've since noticed a slight popping noise in the middle of the pan. No visible flex, but obviously there's some movement. Noise really only happens when I first step on the pan or when I walk on the edges and then back to the center.

I tried adding foam insulation between the mortar bed and pan, which stopped the popping noise for a day or so, but then it reappeared.

My question is more of a sanity check... Is an acrylic pan ever going to be perfectly silent like cast iron? I'm not worried about it flexing so much that it will break, or the drain connection will leak. It's just bothering me that its making noise at all.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can safely say cast iron is quieter than any acrylic . the popping is from workmanship. but showering the water and walking around in your pan will never be as quiet as cast iron.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Trying to make a flat bed is generally not the idea...most work better with numerous mounds spaced around the pan beneath, and then you smush the pan down until it is level all around...don't step in it until the stuff sets, which will probably happen in about 24-hours. In reality, cement is rated at full strength in 28-days, but after 24-hours or so, it should be okay to step in the thing.

FWIW, the bottom of the pan is generally not flat, and the whole idea is to get as much of it supported and the edges level, so piles that you press the pan into cause them to fill in to provide support like a bunch of support pillars. Take a close look at how much of a gap there is and make your piles larger so they will be compacted to make good support when you press the pan in place.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi all,

I last week I installed my shower pan (Dreamline Slimline 30" x 60") in a bed of Quickcrete Mortar following manufacturers instructions. I placed down tar paper on the plywood flooring and used the entire 60 lb bag, spreading it evenly across where the base of the pan would be set.

I've since noticed a slight popping noise in the middle of the pan. No visible flex, but obviously there's some movement. Noise really only happens when I first step on the pan or when I walk on the edges and then back to the center.

I tried adding foam insulation between the mortar bed and pan, which stopped the popping noise for a day or so, but then it reappeared.

My question is more of a sanity check... Is an acrylic pan ever going to be perfectly silent like cast iron? I'm not worried about it flexing so much that it will break, or the drain connection will leak. It's just bothering me that its making noise at all.

Are you wanting to know how to fix this? are you willing to pull the pan back out? if so Jadnashua has good idea , if your starting from scratch.
youve already got cement and foam so you might have to pull it

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Are you wanting to know how to fix this? are you willing to pull the pan back out? if so Jadnashua has good idea , if your starting from scratch.
youve already got cement and foam so you might have to pull it

Do you think he will be able to pull it, given the spray form? I don't know ... just asking out of curiosity.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is beneath? Basement, crawlspace, or slab?

I am thinking that if you can cut holes from below, maybe 1.5 inch diameter, and stuff mortar in little bags etc up the holes, and then shove/pack to the side. Mortar does not need air to harden.

You would have to make special effort to not drill into the pan.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure if its bad enough to warrant pulling it out and resetting it. it should come out though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks