Acid Neutralizer suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some people, mostly plumbers and drillers but homeowners too, don't install a prefilter. I've torn them out and replaced them with a backwashed version.

OK, So "some plumbers, drillers and homeowners" don't install a pre-filter. That just about covers most of the folks installing so who exactly does install a pre-filter. I wish you would stop making blanket statements designed to malign whole groups of people. BTW, I have always installed a pre-filter with and upflow AN filter because the instructions are pretty clear in telling you that you need to so a better statement on your part would be "people that don't read directions don't install a pre-filter" Oh and internet dealers don't install anything.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Some people, mostly plumbers and drillers but homeowners too, don't install a prefilter. I've torn them out and replaced them with a backwashed version.

OK, So "some plumbers, drillers and homeowners" don't install a pre-filter. That just about covers most of the folks installing so who exactly does install a pre-filter. I wish you would stop making blanket statements designed to malign whole groups of people. BTW, I have always installed a pre-filter with and upflow AN filter because the instructions are pretty clear in telling you that you need to so a better statement on your part would be "people that don't read directions don't install a pre-filter" Oh and internet dealers don't install anything.

Hey man, there ya go gettin' all girlie again. If you don't like how I write, don't read my posts, we'll both be much happier but that vision of you, a MASTER plumber since ya was a boy in daddy's shop 3-4 decades ago reading installation plumbing instructions, now THAT'S FUNNY!!

BTW, you quote about as good as you troubleshoot. Probably because troubleshooting instructions can't cover all possibilities so they only list the most basic things to look for and the rest is over your capability. LOL there's that visual of you standing there leaning left reading troubleshooting instructions!! Ya know, you can worry about that instead of who did/does or didn't/doesn't do whatever.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fortunately, little is required by way of reply as your behavior perfectly illuminates the man you are and the credibility your posts should be afforded.

Your ability to "quote" is known far and wide, how special for you. The only reason I don't follow your example is because I know it pisses you off and gives you a false sense of superiority as do 90% of your posts as of late. LOL

(Quote Slussman) BTW, you quote about as good(The word you need here is well) as you troubleshoot. Probably because troubleshooting instructions can't(don't or do not) cover all possibilities so they only list the most basic things to look for and the rest is over your capability(Abilities would be the correct word here). LOL there's that visual of you standing there leaning left reading troubleshooting instructions!!(there is no such thing as troubleshooting "instructions") Ya (you) know, you can worry about that instead of who did/does or didn't/doesn't do whatever.

You write about as eloquently as a 4th grader LOL

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Fortunately, little is required by way of reply as your behavior perfectly illuminates the man you are and the credibility your posts should be afforded.

Your ability to "quote" is known far and wide, how special for you. The only reason I don't follow your example is because I know it pisses you off and gives you a false sense of superiority as do 90% of your posts as of late. LOL
There ya go with the emotionally driven guessing again.

Superplum

Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
I did well pump and pressure tank service for many years in PA where we had very acidic water. I do not recall that I ever saw an elbow on a pressure tank leaking due to pin holes. The tanks I sold had SS elbows. I don't think I ever replaced an tank elbow but I replaced a lot of homemade galvanized 'Tees' with brass. I had 2 24" pipe wrenches and I'd turn the tank upside down in a new tank box to do it.
The tanks most common in my area are Amtrol. These are the ones I was referring to (for pressure not retention tanks) I've been asking the local supply houses for years if they sold any with a ST/ST elbow. No one seems have or know of any. What brand uses a ST/ST elbow?

An upside down compound pail works well if you can't reach the head of a combo unit (under 6' tall with head). You could probably even use a step ladder if you still can't reach it since combos use a lot less floor space (another bonus).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The tanks most common in my area are Amtrol. These are the ones I was referring to (for pressure not retention tanks) I've been asking the local supply houses for years if they sold any with a ST/ST elbow. No one seems have or know of any. What brand uses a ST/ST elbow?

An upside down compound pail works well if you can't reach the head of a combo unit (under 6' tall with head). You could probably even use a step ladder if you still can't reach it since combos use a lot less floor space (another bonus).
I always sold Gould's tanks bought from the local Gould's pump distributor, can't recall the brand name they used.

I'm 6' 4", most customers were shorter. I carried a folding 3 step stool in the van for when I was height challenged like when installing a 36" UV light high enough to get the lamp out the bottom, or commercial stuff. An upside down bucket is asking for a broken ankle etc..

The local plumbers and drillers that sold Master through that Gould's distributor sold combo units with Autotrol valves. I serviced a few and sold a couple I bought from my water treatment distributor with Fleck valves but quit selling any with heavy mineral/resin. The only Autotrol valves I sold were the proportional brining upflow/counter current regenerated Technetic, 169, 269.

Superplum

Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
I always sold Gould's tanks bought from the local Gould's pump distributor, can't recall the brand name they used.

I'm 6' 4", most customers were shorter. I carried a folding 3 step stool in the van for when I was height challenged like when installing a 36" UV light high enough to get the lamp out the bottom, or commercial stuff. An upside down bucket is asking for a broken ankle etc..

The local plumbers and drillers that sold Master through that Gould's distributor sold combo units with Autotrol valves. I serviced a few and sold a couple I bought from my water treatment distributor with Fleck valves but quit selling any with heavy mineral/resin. The only Autotrol valves I sold were the proportional brining upflow/counter current regenerated Technetic, 169, 269.

I've been using Guold pumps for over 35 years. I buy my tanks from the local Guold dealer. I don't believe Guold has ever made tanks. They used to sell jet pumps attached to a tank & sold as a unit but I don't believe they made the tanks. Those type of tanks wouldn't be suitable for a standard well set up any way.
Just kidding about the compound bucket.

Chevy427

Reaction score
BTW, most people call them an AN filter.

Are we going by what most people say, now?

Yes, a downflow AN system can and does act as a filter. Often it is is used as a sediment filter to do a double duty and may even remove ferric iron and other matter from the water. But an AN system that uses upflow method is not a filter and is not meant to be one. That is what I thought we were talking about, perhaps you missed that.

I would not use a 6" or 8" tank as an upflow but a 10", 12" or 13" tank may be used under that right circumstances. The type an power of well pump can and is an essential factor on the size of the tank and whether or not an upflow configuration is acceptable.

Superplum

Licensed Plumber
Reaction score

Good point! To take it a step further, I think a better quote would be "people that don't read directions or understand how it works, shouldn't be installing water treatment equipment at all". Mostly homeowners, not many plumbers or well drillers (who understand that there is dirt & sediment in well water) do this. Also plumbers & well drillers understand the advantage of using an up-flow instead of a back-washing AN unit (when the hardness is low enough that a softener is not needed or wanted) since they don't require water to operate. Anyone who has run their well out of water or had a customer who has, understands this. Remember the summer of 2010? I've had multiple customers whose equipment I've had to bypass until the drought passed so they could have enough water to shower & flush the toilet. Another reason to use (or at least consult with) a local dealer!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks