Accidentally removed alcove tub. Stud to stud measures 62.5”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eastbay847

Reaction score
Welp, classic story of not watching the demolition crew closely enough. Stud to stud is measuring about 62.5” where one tub was, and I don’t know if that’s going to be a problem. There was previously some pretty thick concrete and tiling around the vertical walls above the tubs. They protruded an inch or more out from the walls. Is this an unusual measurement to have for the stud to stud? Maybe there was another layer of wood between the tub and the remaining studs to carry the tile and mount the tub? From reading these forums, I feel like it was probably a 60” tub, but I have two spaces that are 62.5”.

Reach4

Reaction score
If one end is an outside wall, you could use the space to add insulation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the walls outside of the tub area plaster? Was there an offset between the tub walls and the rest of the room? Sounds like the old walls were mudded, which is a good way to achieve a long-lasting, plumb, true surface for tiling and a pain to remove!

My guess is that the old tub may have been cast iron, newer tubs tend to be some other material, and work better when they can be anchored to the studs, so furring out the walls may be the only viable choice. You won't find a tub made that is 62.5".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks