Accidentally punctured pvc... standard solution doesn't seem feasible

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Dragos, May 28, 2007.

  1. Dragos

    Dragos New Member

    May 28, 2007
    Hello All,

    I just got back from Lowe's after telling the department head about my problem. He set me up with a PVC expander and other materials to fix the problem. However, even at the proper size of 1.5", this expander is much wider than my current pipe thanks to its design. In my yard, the builder made the pipes run parallel, so now I need to figure out how to get at it and the best way to repair it. It is a pretty small puncture and I was wondering (forgive me if this is a newbie question) if there are any plugs, clamps, patches, or other option open to me to fix this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture for reference. [​IMG]
  2. Alfonz

    Alfonz Junior Member

    May 27, 2007
    remodeling contractor
    Sonoma County, Ca.
    PVC repair

    You can purchase repair couplings however if the pipes are too close together you may need to do more excavation to separate them enough to fit the coupling. If the big box store doesn't stock them call an irrigation or plumbing supply store.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    I agree with Alfonz. dig up some more of the pipe to get some play then use a repair coupling. Box stores usually have smaller sizes, 1/2", 3/4", and 1", but may or may not have larger sizes. Before those came out, I made repairs using short pieces of pipe and elbows. Really looked Mickey Mouse, but they worked. I filled the holes really fast after I did it so no one would see what I had done!
  5. Bob NH

    Bob NH In the Trades

    Oct 20, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Is it a pressure pipe or a drain?

    Is it just the size of hole that we see, or is is cracked beyond the hole.

    I have repaired drain pipes and low pressure (less that 5 psi) by taking a Schedule 40 coupling, cut it in half (one end), and then take about a 200 degree sector of that.

    Then clean both well, apply purple primer to both, followed by a liberal application of cement to both, snap the new piece over the pipe, and clamp it in place with two stainless clamps, taking care not to tighten so much that you crack the pipe.

    Be sure that you find a coupling that says SCH 40 molded into it. If it says DWV it is NOT schedule 40.

    The reason you want schedule 40 is because the section is longer (more material to cover the hole and bond to the pipe).
  6. Rancher

    Rancher Guest

    That sounds like a plan Bob NH ! What is that small diameter open piece of pvc in the right corner of the picture?

  7. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    It appears in the photo that these pipes are part of an irrigation system. I would not expect two drain lines to run side by side. If that is the case, then the line is under pressure at least part of the time.

Share This Page