Access to Cleanout IPC 2015

Users who are viewing this thread

SS396

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I have a 2 part question.

Part 1 The cleanout at the base of my plumbing stack is located down real close to the concrete slab and in the wall just to the right of my dishwasher. The dishwasher has to be removed to provide access to the cleanout. That is the way it was built 35 years ago. I'm doing now, some work that doesn't involve the cleanout but the inspector said the cleanout has to be accessible without having to remove "equipment" Is that how you interpret 708.1.10 of the 2015 IPC?? Removing the dishwasher is not hard and once it is removed the access to the cleanout would sure be better and safer than if it was in a cabinet base in my opinion. Also, its too low to the floor to install a cabinet there anyway.

Part 2. If I turn the cleanout 180 deg then it could be accessed through a removable plate on the wall. However it is so close to the slab floor that there is not enough pipe to cut it off and glue on a new one. Therefore, it would have to be removed without shortening or damaging the 4 inch pipe that comes up through the slab. If I damage that 4 inch pipe at the slab then I'm really in for trouble. Is there a way to get that existing cleanout off and not risk damaging the pipe?

Attachments

• IMG_E7267 (2).JPG
    IMG_E7267 (2).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 74

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you read the section right before that one it says you need 18 inches to an obstruction. A piece of equipment is an obstruction.

From your picture turning it looks doable. Your picture isn't great. Too close up. The distance to the ground isn't an issue.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, depending on what is above the cleanout in the photo, it might be easier to cut in the new cleanout just above.

Cheers, Wayne

SS396

Reaction score
My thinking is for that one time in how many decades that you might need to get to that cleanout, you simply take 10 minutes to slide the dw out and you have at least 24 inches of access. Yes, my pictures wont load to the sight unless I crop them to reduce the file size for some reason. The problem is I have to get that fitting off of the pipe and put a new fitting exactly where the old fitting was. There is not enough pipe sticking out of the concrete to cut the cleanout off. Any advise on how to do that?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
add a new cleaout higher leave the old one as is when inspector leaves bury it. Not really , I actualy agree thats a sorry place for a clean out Im a bit of a stickler for cleanouts and most guys on here think they are a waste just pull toilets or remove traps etc . But I like well placed clean outs.
On the other hand the inspector is busting your balls so like i said its your house do what you want but adding another should be easy

SS396

Reaction score
add a new cleaout higher leave the old one as is when inspector leaves bury it. Not really , I actualy agree thats a sorry place for a clean out Im a bit of a stickler for cleanouts and most guys on here think they are a waste just pull toilets or remove traps etc . But I like well placed clean outs.
On the other hand the inspector is busting your balls so like i said its your house do what you want but adding another should be easy
The pipe goes to 3 inch just above the existing cleanout. I can't add a 4 inch cleanout above the old one. If the current config is not acceptable the only solution is to remove the cleanout and install a new one turned 180 deg from the old one. So now I'm just looking for a way of getting that old cleanout off without risk of damage to the 4 inch pipe it is currently glued to. Can anyone provide advise on the best possible method to do that?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Right, so what Jeff said. Drill out the 3"x4" bushing in the top of the cleanout with a Rambit type tool. Then you can glue in a new piece of 4" and a new cleanout facing the other way.

Safer than trying to remove the existing cleanout fitting. Which is also a fallback option if the above goes awry.

Cheers, Wayne

SS396

Reaction score
Right, so what Jeff said. Drill out the 3"x4" bushing in the top of the cleanout with a Rambit type tool. Then you can glue in a new piece of 4" and a new cleanout facing the other way.

Safer than trying to remove the existing cleanout fitting. Which is also a fallback option if the above goes awry.

Cheers, Wayne
Sorry I did not get back sooner but I want to thank you all for your advise. There are reasons why stacking another cleanout above the existing one is not going to work for me. I'm going to have to try to get the old one off. Thanks again

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can always cut it off at bottom of fitting do a little chipping of concrete to allow a coupling.
Or saw through fitting then take saw in vertical fashion and put slits in fitting carefully not to damage pipe heat up outside and peel it off, might be worth a try

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks