Access to capped DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Ajmicek

Reaction score
Hello!

So I moved into a house with a closet that used to be a laundry room. Back wall of the closet has a hole in the sheetrock where the washing machine outlet box used to be. In that hole: a capped DWV (and I assume supply lines, but I haven't opened the wall).

I'm doing work in this wall -- when I sheetrock afterwards, does code say I must leave an access for the DWV? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Since the removal of section 704.5 in 2009, what code is other jurisdictions using to enforce the installation of dead end pipes

The 2003 IPC
Chapter 2: DEAD END. A branch leading from a soil, waste or vent pipe;
a building drain; or a building sewer, and terminating at a developed
length of 2 feet (610 mm) or more by means of a plug, cap
or other closed fitting.

The 2003 IPC
704.5 Dead ends. In the installation or removal of any part of a
drainage system, dead ends shall be prohibited. Cleanout extensions
and approved future fixture drainage piping shall not
be considered as dead ends.

Ajmicek

Reaction score
Thanks for code section.
And I may have caused some confusion -- don't know if I used the right terms for "capped" versus "cleanout". Anyway, I attached a picture of how it looks.

So I should put in an access panel, or not? Or I gotta back up and get something corrected to code?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3605.JPG
    IMG_3605.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 265

Reach4

Reaction score
Unless you are on a slab, it can be removed from the floor(s) below. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.
I think that is a wall, with the cap facing up. It used to be the standpipe top, if I understand correctly.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think that is a wall, with the cap facing up. It used to be the standpipe top, if I understand correctly.

That is what I see too. Per code the piping that is no longer in use should be removed, but if it means opening up the wall in the floor below to get it done, I might just leave it alone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks